Choosing a Phaser / MXR Phase 95

What's Hot
andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 57
Hi,

I used to have a Phase 90 - I loved it, full and lush, but the effect was sometimes over the top for my requirements.

I now notice the Phase 95 offers Phase 90 and Phase 45 modes....and the Phase 45 appears to be more subtle plus there is the Script mode.

The small size is a bonus.

Some reviews suggest that it's quite trebly and adds a volume boost...some say not.

Before I pull the trigger, are there any other phase pedals (new or secondhand) that aren't too huge, that are flexible and therefore people think I should consider?

Thanks,
Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Its not desperately flexible but you might want to consider the DOD 201 if you like the Phase 45 sound. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Can't say I've noticed the Phase 95 adding anything it shouldn't - I think it's a lovely little thing. 

http://i.imgur.com/aIBL748h.jpg
  • @simonk is there a volume jump or anything? Love that board.

@andyg_prs I have the Mooer Ninety Orange phaser and it's lovely. Although, I'd like to know how it compares to the 95.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • @andyg_prs I have the Mooer Ninety Orange phaser and it's lovely. Although, I'd like to know how it compares to the 95.

+1 
    edited December 2016
    I had an Orange 90 a few years ago now and very nice it was too. The 95 is obviously a lot more versatile as you essentially have 4 pedals in one.

@Jonathanthomas83 Just had a quick noodle with the 95 and could detect no volume or treble jump.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I've always liked the Ibanez Phasers.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • @simonk Thanks, I've just picked one up and can back you up on that, definitely no volume or treble jump. Sounds fantastic and is super versatile...I tried three modes and forgot about the block 90 mode. Was really chuffed that I could get the more pronounced phase as well as the sounds we associate with those classic tunes. Sad to see my Mooer go, but the MXR is a very cool replacement.

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    @simonk Thanks, I've just picked one up and can back you up on that, definitely no volume or treble jump. Sounds fantastic and is super versatile...I tried three modes and forgot about the block 90 mode. Was really chuffed that I could get the more pronounced phase as well as the sounds we associate with those classic tunes. Sad to see my Mooer go, but the MXR is a very cool replacement.
    @Jonathanthomas83  Hi mate, I've had my eye on the 95 since it came out, do you think it'd be worth trading up from my Whirlwind orange box? (Which is a very good phaser) It would certainly be more versatile.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    edited December 2016
    Its not desperately flexible but you might want to consider the DOD 201 if you like the Phase 45 sound. 

I've just got a DOD 201 for the 3rd time. I'm keeping it this time, it's the nicest one knob phaser I've come across by a long shot. I don't know what's different about it from the Phase 45, but it has a gorgeous musicality about it that gives your sound a beautiful sheen without being too overpowering.
  • @zepp76 hi fella, I really like it, only reason it replaced my Mooer is because it has a couple more modes which add to its versatility, as you say. If it is good enough to replace your Whirlwind, I'd hate to say mate as I've not tried the Whirlwind. I've heard some say that it compares favourably to it though, over at TGP. Sorry, thats not much help really mate! PS...Merry Christmas!!

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    simonk said:
    The 95 is obviously a lot more versatile as you essentially have 4 pedals in one.
    I'd be interested to see what the actual circuit is. I'd love for the 95 to be awesome, I'd be tempted to get one instead of my script w/ LED phase 90, but I know that the script/block button very definitely does *not* give you the two different block and script circuits (on the EVH anyway, I assume it's the same on the 95), it just removes the feedback resistor to make the phasing a bit more subtle (and the script w/LED I have is the same, it just doesn't have the feedback resistor as far as I'm aware). Been burned before, so am sceptical this time. :D
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    @Jonathanthomas83  Merry Christmas mate, I'll see if I can find some comparisons but I doubt there'll be much as it's so new.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • JezWynd said:
    Its not desperately flexible but you might want to consider the DOD 201 if you like the Phase 45 sound. 

I've just got a DOD 201 for the 3rd time. I'm keeping it this time, it's the nicest one knob phaser I've come across by a long shot. I don't know what's different about it from the Phase 45, but it has a gorgeous musicality about it that gives your sound a beautiful sheen without being too overpowering.

---I think I bought mine from you! 
  • zepp76 said:
    @Jonathanthomas83  Merry Christmas mate, I'll see if I can find some comparisons but I doubt there'll be much as it's so new.
    There's one video out that I know of but be wary as it was the one in which I heard a volume jump and made people a bit wary. Rest assured theres no volume junp though. ...and the MXR sounded good when compared to the Whirlwind.

Dave_Mc said:
    simonk said:
    The 95 is obviously a lot more versatile as you essentially have 4 pedals in one.
    I'd be interested to see what the actual circuit is. I'd love for the 95 to be awesome, I'd be tempted to get one instead of my script w/ LED phase 90, but I know that the script/block button very definitely does *not* give you the two different block and script circuits (on the EVH anyway, I assume it's the same on the 95), it just removes the feedback resistor to make the phasing a bit more subtle (and the script w/LED I have is the same, it just doesn't have the feedback resistor as far as I'm aware). Been burned before, so am sceptical this time. :D
    Interesting, I didn't know that. I have an EVH 90 too... it and the 95 get close enough for me though I have to say.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    JezWynd said:

---I think I bought mine from you! 
    Indeed you did, back in March. I've been trying out a load of phasers this year. Clear winner for me is the Maxon PH-350, such a lot of different sounds and all of them very useable plus it does a beautiful flange. For a sound polisher though, the DOD 201 at slow speed is excellent, and it does a nice Leslie type thing when cranked up.
  • simonk said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    simonk said:
    Interesting, I didn't know that. I have an EVH 90 too... it and the 95 get close enough for me though I have to say.
    I'm with you on this @simonk. Get's the sound I want, regardless of if it's a 100% nailed on accurate representation of the original vintage unit or not.

edited December 2016
    simonk said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    simonk said:
    I'd be interested to see what the actual circuit is. I'd love for the 95 to be awesome, I'd be tempted to get one instead of my script w/ LED phase 90, but I know that the script/block button very definitely does *not* give you the two different block and script circuits (on the EVH anyway, I assume it's the same on the 95), it just removes the feedback resistor to make the phasing a bit more subtle (and the script w/LED I have is the same, it just doesn't have the feedback resistor as far as I'm aware). Been burned before, so am sceptical this time. D
    Ah so you've compared the two? That's interesting. I've only tried mine (the script with LED), I'm guessing it's more or less the EVH with the script button engaged...

simonk said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    simonk said:
    I'm with you on this @simonk. Get's the sound I want, regardless of if it's a 100% nailed on accurate representation of the original vintage unit or not.

I agree to a certain extent, it's just a bit annoying when it was sold to you as being authentic, and that that was one of the reasons why you were willing to pay the price in the first place. I got a pretty decent deal on it, but even still- I dare say the Mooer would've sounded as close for less money... and also had the wee button to go between modes.

• Dave_Mc said:
    simonk said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    simonk said:
    I'd be interested to see what the actual circuit is. I'd love for the 95 to be awesome, I'd be tempted to get one instead of my script w/ LED phase 90, but I know that the script/block button very definitely does *not* give you the two different block and script circuits (on the EVH anyway, I assume it's the same on the 95), it just removes the feedback resistor to make the phasing a bit more subtle (and the script w/LED I have is the same, it just doesn't have the feedback resistor as far as I'm aware). Been burned before, so am sceptical this time. D
    Ah so you've compared the two? That's interesting. I've only tried mine (the script with LED), I'm guessing it's more or less the EVH with the script button engaged...

simonk said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    simonk said:

I agree to a certain extent, it's just a bit annoying when it was sold to you as being authentic, and that that was one of the reasons why you were willing to pay the price in the first place. I got a pretty decent deal on it, but even still- I dare say the Mooer would've sounded as close for less money... and also had the wee button to go between modes.

Yeah, I agree with that mate. If they went down the "we use the exact same components and circuit" route then that's fine, but they sell it as being the same sound but it's an approximation by tweaking a few bits and pieces...which is different isn't it.

For me,  I'm rarely able to deal with vintage gear, and don't have much vintage stuff, I prefer modern and new...so for me, it's right up my street, as long as I can get close to those classic sounds I like, as well as making some nice new sounds. 

edited December 2016
    Yeah, definitely. I mean, I agree with you, it does sound good, and I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to change it for something else. And I also agree with you that vintage, or even "totally vintage-accurate reissues", aren't always the thing either- I passed on the vintage 1974 script reissue because I couldn't be annoyed with battery-only operation, no LED etc..

But it does say on its page on the MXR website, "Original Circuit Design", and as you said, that does rankle slightly.