EHX Double Muff hiss solution w/ noise gate?

What's Hot
joe2517joe2517 Frets: 2
Hey guys,

I've noticed there's a lot of hiss and noise with my Double Muff, especially at higher gain settings; I'm told this is a common gripe with this pedal and why it's pretty under-used. Has anyone tried using a noise gate with it with any success? In particular I'm interested in the Roctron Micro Hush - and also the other 1590a sized pedals - as this would fit my pedal board perfectly.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    Not sure about noise gates, but this pedal is notoriously sensitive to other pedals with buffers before it, which make it hiss and sound horrible, so if it's not the first pedal on the board you may be better to change that first.

Unlike most other fuzzes with this problem it even seems slightly affected by a buffer *after* it too. I had one and loved the sound of it on its own, but it just wouldn't work with my other pedals.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've got it first in my chain but presumably then putting a noise gate after it could affect the tone for worse as well, just like any other pedal would. Thanks for the help
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    I'm not sure. It didn't seem to like going into a Boss distortion pedal, so I would steer away from their noise gate, but a different one might be OK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    I feel your pain @joe2517 . I've got a nano double muff and I absolutely love it....apart from the hiss.  I'm sure it even mentions it in the instruction booklet!

If they could hush the hiss and make the two options foot switchable it would be a really cool pedal
  • I wonder whether soldering a capacitor across the base and collector of the first transistor would help with the hiss? People often use them on silicon Fuzzfaces, which aren't a million miles away. Something like 220pF should help. It's a balance between removing the hiss and taking off too much top-end from the fuzz.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom