Rick Parfitt RIP :(

What's Hot

Comments

• Truly awful news. I've been listening to a load of their songs lately. REAL songs. 

I think I'll actually cry when big Slash goes. 2016 had been awful!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Gutted!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RIP Rick and fuck you 2016 :(

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27491
    Shit.  Didn't see that one coming - having survived his heart problems, I assumed he'd be with us for a good few years yet.

From all the Quo stories, he managed to pack quite a bit into his time here and had survived a few close shaves.  There'll be a lot of people missing him now and in the years ahead.  
    :(

Been to quite a few Quo gigs through the years, he & Rossi were a great double act and amazingly good pro musicians.

Time for some high volume classic Quo, and maybe a beer or two.  Mystery Song up first, just for the picture of him left in the studio overnight "buzzing" and writing it ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    Sad news indeed. RIP Rick Parfitt
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    One of the last great tele kings if you ask me, made it look easy. RIP
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    A complication due to a shoulder injury. Repetetive strain injury from playing 12 bars for 50 odd years, probably.  Oh well, Rick would have laughed. RIP.
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27491
    Not the best of recordings, but this is from when Quo were really Quo.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RIP Rick. I was only talking about him and Francis chatting up Bananarama at the Band Aid recording session yesterday. Proper live life to the full bloke.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    Quo were the first band l ever saw live by myself. 1972 at Southampton town hall. Supported by a band called Byzantium.
    I was 13 years old and witnessed the loudest band l have ever heard. Quo had released Paper Plane and Pile Driver was high in the album charts. Rick Parffit was a blonde haired denim wearing SG playing god at that gig whilst he played the solo rhythm section of Don't Waste My Time.
    I will never forget that as long as l live.  Bless you Rick and the rest of Quo for that moment in time. Rest in the very best of peace.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • As a young child in the 70's I was often played Benjamin Britten's "A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra"/ Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf" album by my parents.

Always closely followed by Quo and Queen as a kind of Young Person's Guide to Rock! I've always viewed those as easily as equals in my musical education.

When you're a 5-6 year old in '75 there's something magical about an orchestra, but something truly mystical about loud electric guitars.

RIP Rick :(
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    Oh, bugger.  Saw them at Salford Uni in about 1973, about 300 people all sitting down - as soon as they started playing all 300 were up and headbanging like our lives depended on it.

RIP indeed.
  • Truly shit news. One of the best bands I've seen live and always a fun atmosphere. Bugger :-(
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    That's really sad news. RIP Rick & thanks for the music, Preston Guild hall 198! ear ringing good concert.
  • Fretwired said:
    :( Another very sad loss.

David Bowie - Vocals
    Prince - Vocals/Guitar
    Rick Parfitt - Guitar
    Lemmy - Bass
    Keith Emerson - Keyboards
    Rod Temperton - songwriting

If i was a famous aging drummer, Id be shitting bricks about now... :(
    You forgot Craig Gill - drummer with the Inspiral Carpets - died aged 44 in November - or Nick Menza drummer with Megadeath who died in May.

News about Rick is really sad .. saw Status Quo loads of times in the 70s. Great band - Rick will be sadly missed. RIP.
    Of course,  it all just goes to highlight what a terribly sad year it has been.  Also a reminder to us all to get out and play with all our hearts and revel in this blessing of music which we all love so much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Nerine said:
    What were his white Marshall's? 

Fairly sure, judging by the pictures I have just seen on Facebook, that one of them looked to have an AC30 chassis in it. Only two of the four in the picture actually looked like Marshall amps. Even though they were all headshelled to look like a Marshall. 

Same with the cabs. What are they?? 
    @Nerine They were JCM800s and AC30 chassis in Marshall head shells. The cabs were 1 x 4x12 to each head, the rest of the cabs were filled with Lights (Parfitts idea i believe).

Absolutely gutted. 

First band I ever saw, Dec 16th, 1993. Blew me away and was the catalyst for me wanting to play the guitar.

Here's a vid which shows how little Rick took himself and the whole 'music business' seriously:

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    really sad… been a mental year this..
    Greg Lake as was few weeks ago too I think..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    Really sad... I loved the Quo as a nipper. I really enjoyed seeing them at Cropredy a few years ago. 2016 has just been shite
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited December 2016
    I am really sad. I remember Quo from the very early 70's when they were raw and tight and awesome. I feel for Francis,  those two have been a partnership for 53 years.