Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40

siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

Impressive little amp...seems to do everything and has noise gate and FX all built in....not saying I'm getting one but I'm starting to think about it..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited December 2016
    Guitarist Mags demo by Richard Barratt...this guys a great player but methinks Rabea's demo is more good'er.

£1099 for the lil head, and a whopping £131 for the mega do it all footswitch...so a decent wedge required but you don't need much of a pedalboard after getting this (not to say you won't want one tho).

• BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Looks,sounds interesting.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • ClassicClassic Frets: 40
    I have the GM36 and can confirm there's little you'd want in the way of pedals with this amp. A wah and tuner is all I use.

There are only two down sides I can see from the GM36 amp. One may have been fixed but the other hasn't.

1. The tremolo has a phase element to its sound when engaged. (GM36 specific)
    2. The footswitch has only 32 banks for presets.

The 32 bank preset limit may seem inconsiquential until using a bank per song and playing gigs where you want to recall more than 32 songs. You'll need to be more creative in those circumstances.

The EQ is good that you may only want another drive pedal for specific scenarios. I put the KTR through the front end and it was amazing for solos.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Let's hope H&K have moved the FX loop to post the onboard FX otherwise it will remain absolutely useless for looping pedals. This was one of the main reasons I moved my GM36 on. That and there seemed to be no way of dialling out the excessive brightness.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I know peoples opinions differ, but the main reason I got rid of my GM36 was it sounded bloody awful!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Sounds good, although a little sterile. It's an EL84 amp from the demos seems to sound best when you allow that chime through a bit. The resonance control does a pretty good job of bringing it into Marshall territory, but the metal sounds weren't convincing.

Being a H&K it'll probably sell fairly poorly and then be available for buttons on the used market, at which point I'll be tempted, as if you want a versatile gigging amp for instance, it's everything you'd want in one package.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Is it just me, or is this basically the Switchblade/Coreblade in a smaller box?
    <space for hire>
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    edited January 2017
    I've always thought the Tubemeister/Grandmeister have been some.of the best featured but poorest sounding amps out there. Whenever I've played one I've been very underwhelmed!