NAD: Marshall Code 25

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Thanks voxman.

It’s interesting what you say about the Valvetronix and Tonelab being better than some of the newer modelling kit. I really didn’t connect at all with the Digitech RP and it may have unfairly put me off all modellers. A limited number of quality sounds would suit me more than hundreds of patches and effects. If the Code 25 does a convincing Marshall crunch, at low-ish volume, even this would probably be enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Only just had time to watch the last two videos above. The Japanese one is the closest to what I'm hearing in person I think.

So much hate in the comments sections for the Code amps in every video I've looked at. But then the YouTube comments section isn't exactly the most intelligent forum on the planet. :)

All I can say is that I'm glad I went and looked at them, and even more glad I bought one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    andyp said:

The Japanese one is the closest to what I'm hearing in person I think.
    That's worrying, because it sounds terrible to me. An awful combination of flatulent and that sort of typical crunching-glass sound I tend to always pick up on in modellers.

I admit I didn't listen beyond the 'Bluesbreaker' section at about 4 minutes in.

I really hope it sounds a lot better when I try it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Interesting. :)

Maybe take a stroll round to Merchant City on your lunch break one day? I would be interested to hear your thoughts. That's if folk working in shops actually get breaks anymore. :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I know youtube demos are probably the worst way of assessing an amp's ability but I haven't managed to make it past a few minutes on any of those demos. A very brittle, industrial machinery type of sound. One of them, I thought I was listening to a circular saw trying to cut through sheet metal.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited January 2017
    No-one has yet done a proper, good demo of the Code.  I think because it has so much in it, all that's been done is a run through of factory pre-sets (which as we all know are nearly always pants and way over-processed) and functionality.  If I went by the demos of the Vox Tonelab LE/SE I'd probably never have tried one!

Having said that, even trying to find good demo's of any Marshall valve amp is no easy task either!  Effects are much easier to demo than basic amp tone - crazy, but there it is.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • How loud is it as a Bluetooth speaker? And has it got decent Bluetooth range?
    I think it's as loud as when playing the guitar (which is plenty!) but I've not tried it properly, only a quick blast to see how it worked. I read reports of the Bluetooth range being "less than a foot" but it's a lot more than that. Again, I've not tested it properly yet though.

Mrs. P. is away for most of the weekend so I'll make sure I test these features out fully on Saturday and report back. :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    If you haven't already found out, a noise gate works as such: 
    You set a limit below which it will cut the sound, above which it will let the sound through.
    With hi gain, set the gate to cut the background hiss but not the notes struck on the strings, there's a fine balance between the two and you'll find it as you play. If it sounds like it's "Gating" or cutting off to quickly, back it down. If it's not cutting off quick enough, bump it up.
    Experiment with it and you'll see what it does. Put on a heavy sound and let a chord ring out, it will eventually just cut off. That's the gate working. Decide if that's too soon or not soon enough and adjust to taste.

They're very useful as with all effects, if used in moderation.
    Cheers, I had an idea that Gates did something like that but still didn't really understand what they do. Thanks for the explanation, that's great. I'll have time this weekend (hopefully) to play with the amp for a few hours so I'll try this out too.

Thanks.
    Today's findings...

As a Bluetooth speaker it's not too great. The Blackstar was brilliant and bright as a speaker but my one had to be hooked up by USB cable, which wasn't very practical but sounded great. The Marshall has way too much bottom end so music sounds too dark and dull. Volume is huge though and Bluetooth range is about 10-12 feet, certainly not the "1 foot" that I saw in a review / comment on YouTube.

The amp settings really make a huge difference. I decided I'd try to learn Unchained this afternoon (well, at least a couple of the riffs) and having a play about with all the options shows just how much they do affect the sound. I ended up with a 100W JCM800 and 1960X Cab, flanger, compressor and reverb... to me it was pretty spot on sounding. The cab made a massive difference to the tone - very dark through to very bright.