Suppliers - Mail Order Wood, etc

What's Hot

Any suggestions for mail order suppliers for wood, and maybe things like fret wire?

I've been searching around a fair bit lately, and a lot of the places I've found seem to lack information like telling you if bits are quarter sawn, or showing you pictures of individual blanks so that you can choose the one you want.

I'm particularly interested in mahogany body and neck blanks, and ebony finger boards that are black rather than stripy. It would be great to be able to visit places and see the bits, but there seems to be a lack in the south east of Scotland.

Also, any suggestions for suppliers of things like fret wire, binding, etc? (I know of Small Wonder for inlays.)

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    David Dyke , Touchstone Tonewoods, Tone Tech etc

Google Luthiers Supplies and many names come up

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• I've bought a few lumps of wood from edelholzhandel.com. Prices are good and the stuff that arrives is the same as the pictures on their web site.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    Be careful of mahogany blank weights just in case you want a fairly light weight solid guitar, 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 307
    I have great success using my local joiners shops, they usually have guitar sized offcuts in the workplace. David Dyke http://www.luthierssupplies.co.uk , best give him a ring.

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Thanks all. I found Timberline, who at least put up photos of individual body blanks, so I've ordered some stuff from them.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Nomad said:
    Thanks all. I found Timberline, who at least put up photos of individual body blanks, so I've ordered some stuff from them.
    I'm pleased you've posted this.  They have significantly improved their website since I last looked - they didn't used to do this and to me it's a big no no to not be able to see the actual product.

That's a good start to 2017 :)
  • eldarvanyareldarvanyar Frets: 32
    edited January 2017
    I came across this site this week which looks good 

http://www.exotichardwoodsukltd.com/page72/page131/

'Less is more' or is it 'more is less?'