Mixer unit

CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
Going to upgrade the PA system next year.  Fairly set on a pair of Yamaha dxr10's and maybe a matching sub.

What mixer should I go for though? 

We don't tend to mic up much in the band so it's usually just vocals but might have guitar, bass and the bass drum. 8 inputs is enough.

I just have no idea what difference it makes spending a little or a lot of the mixer.  I'm guessing just more functions/tone shaping the higher the price rather than a noticeable increase in sound quality?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Behringer X-Air 16 channel. Around £375, best solution on the market in my opinion.
  • Yep we got that behringer mixer and uts great.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    That looks insanely cool!

I just watched the demo video. So if we are in a pub, no wifi or anything, can the iPad just connect up to the internal router in the xr16?

What tablet are you using with yours?

The aux sends look really useful as well for having things go to different why monitors. 
  • You'll need a £25 external router for the best stability. We are using an iPad out front but apparently the Android app is better. We use another iPad on the stage to adjust monitor levels. The preamps are really good quality as are the effects.
  • Yep behringer digital series although personally i went x18 as I wanted the option to multitrack record and often mic drums. Plus multiple IEM mixes.

i use an external Apple airport express wifi and has never given me an issue.
  • Btw, re: speakers, worth pushing the boat out for 12", in those venues you don't need subs they'll reward you. I've had a few pairs of DXR12 over the years, great speakers, but also worthwhile checking out turbosound. Behringer/MG have done some really interesting things with them since buying and the Milan series and iqs, are great sounding and great value speakers. 
  • so far ive only used the internal router and its been fine, we each set our own IEM mixes with our phones and then the mix stays static for the whole rehearsal...havent gigged it yet,
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    The 10" speaker is more about space and weight saving.  The 12" is quite a bit bigger and heavier.

Turbo sound stuff looks quite good but similar price to the DXR series.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    We use an XR18 and it's been fantastic, really can't fault it.

On the speaker front we have a pair of Yamaha DBR10's, a pair of DXR12's and a DXS12 sub. The 10's are perfect for small pub gigs and small enough that half the band isn't lost behind them.
    @simonk  the 10's with the 12 sub is I think what we'all end up with. Do you always use the sub?

Have you got an additional router to use with the xr?
    CHrisP86 said:
    @simonk  the 10's with the 12 sub is I think what we'all end up with. Do you always use the sub?

Almost always use the sub. One of the tops sits on it on a pole so it takes up no more room and it helps the kick along no end.

We don't use an external router and haven't felt the need TBH. And that's with 3x Smooth Hound guitar wireless and a Line6 wireless mic on stage. It does all take a bit of careful positioning though.
    Thanks Simon.  Do you notice a difference in sound quality between the DBR and DXR?

To be honest our current PA is about 15 years old so pretty much anything will be an improvement!
  • simonk said:
    CHrisP86 said:

Almost always use the sub. One of the tops sits on it on a pole so it takes up no more room and it helps the kick along no end.

We don't use an external router and haven't felt the need TBH. And that's with 3x Smooth Hound guitar wireless and a Line6 wireless mic on stage. It does all take a bit of careful positioning though.
    I guess it depends how often you want to tweak your mix during a gig. Ourse is very much set and forget as we dont have a dedicated sound guy so if the wifi fails it jsut means a 2 min delay during soundcheck rather than any impact on the actual performance / sound.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    simonk said:
    CHrisP86 said:

I guess it depends how often you want to tweak your mix during a gig. Ourse is very much set and forget as we dont have a dedicated sound guy so if the wifi fails it jsut means a 2 min delay during soundcheck rather than any impact on the actual performance / sound.
    I can't remember ours ever dropping signal TBH... we always have the pad 'connected' and on throughout the gig in case anything needs tweaking on the fly.
  • Weve had a couple if cases when one person connecting their phone kicked off another one. We have 4 devices connected though and it doesnt happen that frequently.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I've just bought an XR16, first gig with it tonight.  Using it with 2 RCF 710s and 2 DB Subs, the speakers are great for pub gigs with a 4-piece rock band, got a couple of DXR10s that we use as monitors, but they are easily on par with the RCFs
    @John_A will be interested to hear your thoughts on the behringer.

The RCF710's look pretty good value.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Well the XR16 performed brilliantly, no wifi issues at all with the internal router, and it seems to sound loads better than our only desk too, love it!  Still need to explore the options, we only ran one monitor mix last night, and probably only used it to half of its capability.

the RCFs are great speakers, for vocals I prefer them to the DXRs, and two 10s coupled with a couple of subs is plenty of power for a rock band playing pub gigs with the kit and guitar through the PA as well