Anyone tried a Boss Katana 50?

What's Hot

Comments

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I do seem to remember hearing on at least one of the reviews that the Katanas were very close, volume output-wise to the advertised outputs of 50 and 100 watts...I think...
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    ICBM said:
    cbilly22 said:

Interestingly (and @ICBM would probably explain this better), the power consumption of the 100 is 77w while the 50 draws 47w, I imagine (guessing tbh) this would make the smaller amp closer to its claimed output than the 100, meaning there is even less of a difference in perceived volume than the 50w and 100w claims suggest.
    No, because there is a fixed draw for the preamp and a small fixed loss in the power supply. At a guess it looks like 17W, with the '50W' power section using 30W and the '100W' using 60W, which would give those figures with the same relative exaggeration.

Or is it? I always assumed that the power consumptions were correct (because I thought they had to be to comply with regulations) and the outputs were exaggerated (because it's a good marketing approach), but when I measured my little 200W Ampeg that claims to draw only 150W, I found it was the other way round - the power output was genuine, and the draw was actually 288W.

So without measuring the Boss, I don't know. It's possible they're allowed to rate the consumption as an average in normal use, or something.

See, I said you'd explain it better lol
    cbilly22 said:
    ICBM said:
    cbilly22 said:

Interestingly (and @ICBM would probably explain this better), the power consumption of the 100 is 77w while the 50 draws 47w, I imagine (guessing tbh) this would make the smaller amp closer to its claimed output than the 100, meaning there is even less of a difference in perceived volume than the 50w and 100w claims suggest.
    No, because there is a fixed draw for the preamp and a small fixed loss in the power supply. At a guess it looks like 17W, with the '50W' power section using 30W and the '100W' using 60W, which would give those figures with the same relative exaggeration.

Or is it? I always assumed that the power consumptions were correct (because I thought they had to be to comply with regulations) and the outputs were exaggerated (because it's a good marketing approach), but when I measured my little 200W Ampeg that claims to draw only 150W, I found it was the other way round - the power output was genuine, and the draw was actually 288W.

So without measuring the Boss, I don't know. It's possible they're allowed to rate the consumption as an average in normal use, or something.

See, I said you'd explain it better lol

...on the plus side it convinces me I was right about the 50w versions ability to handle a gig unmiked so I'm only half stupid.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72513
    cbilly22 said:

...on the plus side it convinces me I was right about the 50w versions ability to handle a gig unmiked so I'm only half stupid.
    It depends - you'd have to try it in context. I've lost count of the number of solid-state amps which while having impressive - and genuine - rated power outputs and sound very loud on their own, struggle in a live situation compared to far less powerful valve amps.

There's a lot more to it than the actual power output, but it doesn't help to know what to expect when manufacturers cheat - which applies to some valve amps too!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    cbilly22 said:

It depends - you'd have to try it in context. I've lost count of the number of solid-state amps which while having impressive - and genuine - rated power outputs and sound very loud on their own, struggle in a live situation compared to far less powerful valve amps.

There's a lot more to it than the actual power output, but it doesn't help to know what to expect when manufacturers cheat - which applies to some valve amps too!
    Indeed, very murky waters and why I use a Bandit with a couple of pedals most of the time again :)
    edited January 2017
    cbilly22 said:
    ICBM said:
    cbilly22 said:

Indeed, very murky waters and why I use a Bandit with a couple of pedals most of the time again
    Actually should add that the reason I moved the Katana on was that it did way more than I needed it to in terms of features and someone offered me 20 quid more than I paid for it, so I sold it. If I wanted something with a similar feature set again I would grab the 50 without hesitation.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2017
    Sold for more than you paid...that's got to say something about the new range and Boss's aggressive pricing.

I'm still combing the web for someone who says they are shit.  I ordered the 100w head yesterday anyway as it looks ideal for the noodling I do at home and can't be bothered warming up valves etc..will always keep a few valve amps though.
    andyoz said:
    Sold for more than you paid...that's got to say something about the new range and Boss's aggressive pricing.

I did buy it on here second hand so my buyer still picked up a little bargain.
    Haha, missed that point.
    edited January 2017
    andyoz said:
    Haha, missed that point.
    I think he 100w head looks about the most interesting new amp for ages, actually amazes me that nobody has thought of it before.
    edited January 2017
    cbilly22 said:
    andyoz said:
    Haha, missed that point.
    I think he 100w head looks about the most interesting new amp for ages, actually amazes me that nobody has thought of it before.
    ....or have they @ICBM

edited January 2017
    Yeah, ordered one...will be doing some videos to compare with the Friedman Smallbox...see if the Brown channel lives up to the hype (sounds class in all the videos I've seen).  I also need to lightly amp my electro acoustic at home so that's sorted as well.

My initial reaction to their release was...too cheap to take seriously...

I think everyone was disappointed when they didn't release a MFX board to take on Helix, etc.  They appear to have just put that into an amp and sent people of the scent at bit with the cheap pricing.

The video I linked to above is funny and actually genuine I think..

Someone took one apart on one of the forum and the photos show some pretty serious DSP chips in there.  Trust Boss to shake things up.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    andyoz said:

I'm still combing the web for someone who says they are shit (or even 'ordinary').  I ordered the 100w head yesterday anyway as it looks ideal for the noodling I do at home and can't be bothered warming up valves etc..will always keep a few valve amps though.
    can I just go with ugly then? Quite a trick to make a black box look that naff. 

Underwhelmed by the demo I heard before but just put a more complete demo on for lunchtime viewing so I'll see what that produces. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, its fugly but growing one me...I'll just hide it behind one of me nice valve heads and use my imagination...

I suspect the trick is to slam the Head thru a nice 2 x 12" or 4 x 12".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Whats so ugly about it?...Its just a black box with a white 'Boss' badge and a bit of piping...Nicely understated, in my opinion.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I guess it is just a big computer so understated black box is the right vibe.  It says Boss and that's always cool in my book.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Well in the eye of the beholder I guess. Certainly a very plain asthetic but that Boss logo and Japanese symbol scream ' naff, in ten years time you will only see these unloved up the corners of cheap rehearsal rooms' to me. Could have been a lot worse I suppose. 

Although £250 for the 100 combo, lot cheaper than I thought so maybe looking cheap is acceptable after all. Seems fairly straightforward to operate and sounds alright. Quite neat. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited January 2017
    I've had to take off my gear snob goggles for this one.  It'll never replace a good valve but has it's uses I hope.  I've got some nice valve gear but alot of my time is actually spent on a Marshall 1w JCM800 head that's a hoot.

Want to stop worrying about gear and playing more TBH.
  • I've ordered as well - I had a Katana 100 but admit to not giving a fair go before my valve snob head kicked in.  Determined to get to know it and see what it can do, particular in a 'pub band' environment.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    If it actually was 100 watts then it would be terrific value but in truth it'll be about 50-60 watts and so should really be judged against other modellers in that power range. Oh and you need to add on another £80+ for the foot switch.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom