Anyone used CarlMartin Headroom or a similar analogue outboard spring reverb pedal?

What's Hot
mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
Am loving my new little silverface champ. So much fun - no option paralysis with only 3 knobs!
I have a Flint but I quite fancy the idea of a real spring reverb to go with the champ. Was mulling over the Headroom pedal as can't seem to find any other readily available options. Anyone got one or had any experience with it? Or indeed know of any similar pedals or smaller reverb tank units?
cheers all and Happy New Year!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    Spaceman orion. Van amps soul mate. Gurus sinusoid are othere options.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30935
    I would just say- every single Carl martin thing I have tried has been world class.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
     Cheers chaps
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9586
    I loves me verb me...

Tried the Carl Martin - warm and subtle. Id favour the Van Amps over it, although they can be awkward to power...

The problem is that digital reverb is just SO good these days.

The best Ive encountered remain;

1.) Fractal FX8 - it remains THE best selection of verbs yet, imho.

2.) Big Sky

3.) Catinbread Talisman

I prefer pedal verb to amp verb, and thats up against Carr, Redplate, Lazy J
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    I did a couple of gigs where the other guitarist had a Headroom. I'm slightly anti reverb for gigs ( that little splash that people depend on for home use being a bit pointless in an echoey pub) but he had that up high and it sounded amazing. I was really surprised, that Peter Green type thing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9586
    Matt, I just found (if im being honest) the Headroom a little too subtle. i dont like ranging verbs per se, but Ive twice played (and been ready to buy) the Headroom and even though I SO wanted it to work, I found others could match it...

I even had one from Amazon which I returned. Nice, warm, analogue BUT....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    The hip thing in spring reverb now is the surfy bear. It's sort of a Fender tank but with FETs rather than valves. You have to order the kit ( from Sweden I think) and stick it in a box yourself ( quite a few going into custom amp builds apparently). I don't think it's particularly expensive, more of a test of your patience than your wallet. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    BTW van amps is not great in fx loop as it doesnt like line level signal.

I'm pretty impressed with the orion. Though a small spring is not the same sound as a long spring.
    Brill info guys - thanks for all the alternative suggestions. 
    Agree about reverb in a gig setting. Unless it's a specific solo moment, it often gets lost, and the subtleties definitely don't transfer to the audience for the just part. But when just twatting about at home, it's damn fun to have that splashy backdrop. 
    Maybe the Amazon return thing is a good idea - I know you've lauded the benefits of it before @Wazmeister :-)

Spaceman orion. Van amps soul mate. Gurus sinusoid are othere options.
    Orion looks very cool - but bit more dosh than the Carl Martin. Have you compared the two?
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    The carl martin is very good.  It's a large enclosure and quite pricey.  The sound is quite warm but superb, you can dial in to 2 switchable settings.