2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    See how much you can cope with.
    I didn't do the C25K thing- just went out running with my wife (who is good at running)- and I didn't want to be beaten by her so made myself stay at her pace.
    The first month or so was a bit of a struggle but I got used to it.

I couldn't talk to her whilst running and even found her talking to me to be difficult- I needed to concentrate 100% on running.
    Now we can chat away easily and the runs are a lot easier.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Before I got ill I was running about 10 km 3 times a week.   I'm getting back into the swing of it but part of the problem is that here in rainy east Lancashire the only flat bits are lakes and reservoirs.  The bit I gave up on is about a 1 in 5 incline.

As I said, I'm not worried or bothered, more slightly miffed.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    123km + (you guessed it) 5km = 128km
    Feb 8th: 180km + 6km = 186km.

• No run today, sore achilles. At least my bloodied feet are recovering. I can run in fake FiveFingers if I use a roomy pair and wear toe socks, so it's not all bad. Assuming I run tomorrow and Friday, I'll try running loops for my long run, and try to keep pace more comfortable, i.e. faster than I would like.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Ok..... I'm no runner, never done it past age 13, I'm 37 about 15kgs overweight, advice? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    Ok..... I'm no runner, never done it past age 13, I'm 37 about 15kgs overweight, advice? 
    Just start, mate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    Ok..... I'm no runner, never done it past age 13, I'm 37 about 15kgs overweight, advice? 
    Mon: Run slowly for 5 mins
    Tue:  Rest 
    Wed: Run slowly for 7 mins
    Thur: Rest
    Fri: Run slowly for 9 mins
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: Run slowly for 11 mins

Mon:  Run for 15 mins
    Tue: Rest
    Wed: Run for 15 mins
    Thur: Rest
    Fri: Run for 18 mins
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: Run for 20 mins

Etc, Etc.

Do more if you can but absolutely do not attempt to run fast.  You are very likely to hurt yourself. Keep it slow and easy to start with.  The vast majority of running injuries are caused by doing too much too soon.  Give your body plenty of time and rest to adapt and you will be fine.   Nothing will slow your progress more than being injured. 

Too much running before your body can handle it is worse than too little

• octatonic said:
    Just start, mate.
    This.  

There are many many aids to help, including the above route, phone apps, NHS C25k, etc.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    First run of the year done! 

0km + 4km = ummmm.....4km!

Just 646km from Luxembourg  :)
  • Mrs Stoo just told me she's entered me in a 10km race that's in June.  I'd better get better soon!
    BRISTOL86 said:
    First run of the year done! 

0km + 4km = ummmm.....4km!

Just 646km from Luxembourg  :)
    Excellent!  

Mrs Stoo just told me she's entered me in a 10km race that's in June.  I'd better get better soon!
    Now you have to set yourself unrealistic goals. Sub 35 or something. 
    Maybe that's just me?
  • Nice 5 mile run at lunchtime, on my own. I decided to relax and really enjoyed it, ran just about hard enough for a 5-miler and faster than usual. Of course usually I'm chatting with my running partner which is giving my lungs more of a workout at a slower speed, but still I'm happy.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    I'm having a day off. I've run 31km already this week so well over my target.
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    Thought I might as well enter my details.  
    January 36 miles
    February 8.8 miles + 5.4 today = 14.2 Miles.
    Deadman said:

Another challenge used to be running 1.5 miles in under 11 minutes. I was never that fast and did it in 9.10 eventually after bumbling around the 9.30 mark. That's something I'd like to achieve again this year and is another of my targets. 
    That sounds like a wicked challenge. 1.5 miles in under 11 minutes is OK, 7m20s miles.  If I was just doing 1.5 miles then I could probably get down to 10 minutes, but 9:10, shit thats good.
    Mark_R said:
    January 36 miles
    Deadman said:

Another challenge used to be running 1.5 miles in under 11 minutes. I was never that fast and did it in 9.10 eventually after bumbling around the 9.30 mark. That's something I'd like to achieve again this year and is another of my targets. 
    That sounds like a wicked challenge. 1.5 miles in under 11 minutes is OK, 7m20s miles.  If I was just doing 1.5 miles then I could probably get down to 10 minutes, but 9:10, shit thats good.
    I was 17 and 8.5 stone when I got that time. I'm 46 and 13 stone now! 

It'd be immense for me to get anywhere near it now.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Deadman said:
    Mark_R said:
    January 36 miles
    Deadman said:

I was 17 and 8.5 stone when I got that time. I'm 46 and 13 stone now! 

It'd be immense for me to get anywhere near it now.
    When I'm a little fitter I will give this a go and see what sort of time I can get!
    First 10km today

128km + 10km = 138km
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Look up couch to 5k or C25k. Full programme to get you started. Also look for local running clubs - they often run complete beginner courses and the group support is worth it. I myself started on a local beginners course nearly 3 years ago.

Run/walk is the key (as in c25k) and be patient to allow tendons/muscles etc time to adjust. If you struggle with a week of the programme, repeat it. It'll start very low at around 30sec -1 min of running to 1-2 mins of walking but this all helps build strength and aerobic base.  I've coached over 200 beginners this way and it really does work. Good luck,keep going and you'll get there :-)