2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Mar 28th: 406km +5km = 411km.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    You make it sound so easy @mcsdan ; ;)

338km + 10km = 348km. I'm 9km from my original target (set on 4 Jan) of 357km by Easter. I'll get past that and officially join the 1200km club by year end.
    Deadman said:
    You make it sound so easy @mcsdan ; ;)

338km + 10km = 348km. I'm 9km from my original target (set on 4 Jan) of 357km by Easter. I'll get past that and officially join the 1200km club by year end.
    You are smashing it, mate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks man. I feel great. I think we all must do.
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1680
    17k + 71k (treadmill while waiting for the snow to melt) = 88k

Then I saw that @mcsdan did half of my treadmill runs (2 1/2 months worth) in one run :astonished: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I'm still off with a sore achilles, but I can feel I'm walking better so hopefully a couple more days should do it. Actually running probably stresses my achilles less because I don't roll my foot as much as when I walk, but better safe than sorry!
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    10.6 km.  Increasing gradually but it's still difficult.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    edited March 2017
    Try doing one long slow run per week and one HIIT (high intensity interval training) session- the latter being some sort of jog/sprint/jog sprint thing, or maybe find a steep hill and run up it and down it a few times.

I found this helped my endurance greatly.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    key with increasing endurance is the longer slower run. This increases your aerobic capacity. Maximum heart rate volume is achieved at 60% of max heart rate so that is where your long runs should be. Increase distance by no more than 10% (approx) per week on one run when building up and have an easier week every 3-4 weeks.

So if 10k time is say 60 mins (10mins per mile) I'd be inclined to go for say 11k,12k,13k etc but at 11-11:30 m/m pace or slower. You cant run too slow but easily too fast.  Ideally if you can get your long run upto say 1.5 hours that's the point at which the body starts to burn more fats to carbs and gets more efficient doing so. The more efficient that process is the less carbs you burn when running at normal pace and hence can go longer/faster on less.  A good test for pace on these long runs is if you could hold a conversation with someone whilst running. If full sentences then right pace. If a word here or there then too fast.

Balance that long run out with a faster tempo run. Start with 1 mile warm up then 1 mile at 5-10k pace and 1 mile cool down. Gradually increase length of the 5-10k pace section until you are doing 4 miles in total. Then tweak pace. This will build lactate threshold (the point at which your legs get heavy) and you should start to feel after a couple of attempts that there is a pace you can run and hold for a while and going ever so slightly faster makes legs heavy. Keep at the pace just before legs get heavy. Also known as a threshold or lactate run. As above a good test for this run is you can still talk but only one or two words at a time. If you can hold a conversation then too slow. If you are reall struggling for breath and can't speak then too quick.

Have another run that is fairly short but quicker such as hill reps, intervals etc. I do intervals/hill reps etc that may only be a total of 1-2 miles despite running long on other runs. It's the intensity that counts on these not the distance. Remember to warm up with an easier jog before and cool down the same after.  These are ideal runs to fit in during a lunchtime or before work.

Mixing the above will give an alround development.

Hope this helps :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    ^^^ This is excellent- thanks for taking the time to post it.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Alternatively, do what you want as long as you are achieving what you set out to achieve. I tried sticking to a running "plan" but am happiest when I'm just running.The most I can plan is to increase the mileage of my long run, and even that almost takes too much thought.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    mcsdan said:
    key with increasing endurance is the longer slower run. This increases your aerobic capacity. Maximum heart rate volume is achieved at 60% of max heart rate so that is where your long runs should be. Increase distance by no more than 10% (approx) per week on one run when building up and have an easier week every 3-4 weeks.

So if 10k time is say 60 mins (10mins per mile) I'd be inclined to go for say 11k,12k,13k etc but at 11-11:30 m/m pace or slower. You cant run too slow but easily too fast.  Ideally if you can get your long run upto say 1.5 hours that's the point at which the body starts to burn more fats to carbs and gets more efficient doing so. The more efficient that process is the less carbs you burn when running at normal pace and hence can go longer/faster on less.  A good test for pace on these long runs is if you could hold a conversation with someone whilst running. If full sentences then right pace. If a word here or there then too fast.

Balance that long run out with a faster tempo run. Start with 1 mile warm up then 1 mile at 5-10k pace and 1 mile cool down. Gradually increase length of the 5-10k pace section until you are doing 4 miles in total. Then tweak pace. This will build lactate threshold (the point at which your legs get heavy) and you should start to feel after a couple of attempts that there is a pace you can run and hold for a while and going ever so slightly faster makes legs heavy. Keep at the pace just before legs get heavy. Also known as a threshold or lactate run. As above a good test for this run is you can still talk but only one or two words at a time. If you can hold a conversation then too slow. If you are reall struggling for breath and can't speak then too quick.

Have another run that is fairly short but quicker such as hill reps, intervals etc. I do intervals/hill reps etc that may only be a total of 1-2 miles despite running long on other runs. It's the intensity that counts on these not the distance. Remember to warm up with an easier jog before and cool down the same after.  These are ideal runs to fit in during a lunchtime or before work.

Mixing the above will give an alround development.

Hope this helps :)
    Wow. I'm actually printing this out. Thanks mate.
    348km + 5km = 353km
    5 miles easy tonight.
    Mar 29th: 411km +5km = 416km.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    kjdowd said:
    162km + 7km = 169km so far.
    169km + 8km = 177km. Inching towards 200km. 
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    There's some great advice there, thanks.

As for hills, I live half way up one and I can't see some of the other local ones because there's other hills in the way.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1680
    88 + 5 = 93km
    10.9 miles tonight. That was a hot one!

=356miles/573km
    brilliant month of running after a bad start to the year. 202 miles/325km. Really happy with that.