TC Mimiq...a couple of clips

digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26579
edited January 2017 in FX
Here's something I knocked up with my new studio rig half an hour ago...

Left channel is the JCA50H, right is the JCA22H (mixed 70% each way). Amps are both going into a dummy load (Randomhandclaps' homebrew one for the JCA50H, AMT Powereater for the JCA22H), then fed into the Eventide Time Factor after that and from there into the interface. Cab emulation is done with Two Notes Wall of Sound III, using the Buddha 2x12" (a dynamic and a condenser on each).

First clip: crunch channel on both amps, no effects

Second clip: crunch channel on both amps with the TC Mimiq engaged (one "guitar" through each amp)

Third clip: crunch channel on both amps, guitar volume rolled down a bit, stereo delays from Eventide Time Factor

Fourth clip: crunch channel on both amps with the TC Mimiq engaged (one "guitar" through each amp), guitar volume rolled down a bit, stereo delays from Eventide Time Factor

There's a bit of a glitch at the end of the first clip - it's not in my source files or the rendered version, so I think Soundcloud's had a bit of a barf on it.

These clips are as-is, no processing at all aside from the cab emulation. You'll note that the Mimiq ones are quieter...that appears to be a natural consequence, possibly because the signals are different and I'm not hard-panning the channels. I'll experiment with that when I've got a bit more time.

<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    That sounds great. 

Glad to see my old amp is being used as intended. The Mimiq seems to do the job admirably. 
  • Sounds really good. Wish I could nail that rhythm sound...

What guitar are you using? 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26579
    edited January 2017
    Sounds really good. Wish I could nail that rhythm sound...

What guitar are you using? 
    I was using my Jaden Rose Tele Lite, Hot Rails in the bridge (for the first two clips) and a Little '59 in the neck (for the last two). In case you're curious, amp settings are here (crunch channel only):

Effects settings here:

I used those settings on the Mimiq, and The Juicer was also engaged (forgot to mention that part). It doesn't really add much gain, but it sort of livens up the sound a fair bit. That's quite important, because I'm getting a bit of signal loss somewhere before the amps, and that brings it all back and then some.
    <space for hire>
  • Cool, thanks 
  • I can attest that it sounds like this in real life. 
    The Tele is rather nice too, even with Banjo strings on it....... ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited January 2017
    Sounds great I'm verfy interested in the Mimiq only problem is I use a GT-100, is there a way of connecting the Mimiq to two amps whilst i'm all 4cm'd up to only one? I have a feeling there isn't...
  • longi said:
    Sounds great =) I'm verfy interested in the Mimiq only problem is I use a GT-100, is there a way of connecting the Mimiq whilst i'm all 4cm'd up?
    IMO, it doesn't work anywhere near as well in a mono rig. Does the GT-100 have a stereo effects loop?

I haven't tried the Mimiq after the preamp (ie after distortion), but there's a good chance it might work. You could, therefore, split the signal after your GT-100 out to two power amps if it works.
    <space for hire>
    longi said:
    Sounds great =) I'm verfy interested in the Mimiq only problem is I use a GT-100, is there a way of connecting the Mimiq whilst i'm all 4cm'd up?
    IMO, it doesn't work anywhere near as well in a mono rig. Does the GT-100 have a stereo effects loop?

I haven't tried the Mimiq after the preamp (ie after distortion), but there's a good chance it might work. You could, therefore, split the signal after your GT-100 out to two power amps if it works.
    I was going to try and run a two amp setup somehow. Trouble is, as you say the GT-100 only has a mono effects loop which blows! 

Where is your Mimiq placed in the chain? Input or effects loop? 
  • longi said:
    longi said:

I was going to try and run a two amp setup somehow. Trouble is, as you say the GT-100 only has a mono effects loop which blows! 

Where is your Mimiq placed in the chain? Input or effects loop? 
    It's after all my before-the-amp pedals (tuner, phaser, vibe, dirty boost) but directly before the amps' inputs because I wanted the different voicings from the preamp to be apparent.

I'll try it in the loop at the weekend if I get time.
    <space for hire>
    Ok cool, good to know, Let us know how it sounds. =)