Cordless vacuum cleaners

What's Hot

Comments

• Vaccuum cleaners suck.

I got rid of mine. It was just gathering dust.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    BigMonka said:
    Cheers. I like how people see the word tool and think of me...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    edited January 2017

I really want a Dyson V8.  Not because I've heard there's anything wrong with the V6 but the V8 is 2 better and I love the sound of a good V8.  Really it's just GAS but for a vacuum.  VAS.  I've got VAS.   I would imagine from looking at the reviews that the V8 glides like buttah and balances amazingly.  
  • +1 for the Dyson v6. I believe you can mount it to the wall and still take the charging cable off temporarily if you want to take it somewhere else.

It has 2 modes, regular with 15 or 20 mins of battery and high power with about 7 mins. The high power setting is great. Noisy but great. Perfect for cleaning up after kids as others have said. Or crumbs off the sofa, the car, etc etc.

You wouldn't want to vacuum a whole house with it though, making it more of a "second" vacuum. First world problems, eh?!!

We also had a Dyson ball - the full size wired Dyson - until our boiler leaked and filled the whole thing with water. I replaced it with a much cheaper, quieter and more powerful Miele.  That said after several months drying out in the garage I plugged the Dyson in and it seems to be working fine...

Make sure and put a bigsby on it though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Dysons are great, our DC08 is still going strong 12 years on. A few years ago we also bought a DC24 which is really good, but we found that the concept of an Upright isn't as good as it's quite heavy and makes things harder. 

We would get a Cordless but the battery is too small. 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    We had a Dyson canister vacuum years ago, and for carpet it was shite as there was only the air-driven brush which needed constant maintenance to keep it running. Key for carpet is a good beater brush, 800W should be plenty as it's the brush which agitates and loosens the dirt, not suction power.

We've got a heavy Sebo upright at the moment, but yes it's a pig on stairs. It's very easy to carry up and down stairs but my wife doesn't like it.

That said it looks like the Dysons are improving, I'd like to wait until the battery can do about an hour before investing though.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    I wondered when I'd posted this - looks like I've taken over three months to sort out a vacuum cleaner :astonished: 

Downsides of the cordless cleaners were the cost and the recharge time. We bought a Vax cylinder cleaner as this was to replace a small, cheap cylinder one anyway but it was quite difficult to use and got returned. The Henry (or Hetty) was quite appealing but a bit big (we want to store it in quite a small space)and a bit heavy ( MrsTheWeary can't carry heavy things). 

In the end we picked up a Shark Rocket for £89 (normally seem to be around £129). Bit of an odd thing in some ways - it has that Dyson/ cordless look but it has a cord. However, seems to work perfectly well, is quite easy to use, fairly light (I'd say the Dyson cordless are a bit lighter) and packs down into quite a small space. So, unless this dies seems to have fitted what we wanted. 

Cheers all :smile: 
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    Sorry, I corpsed at "and then use at home for upstairs". 
    kaypeejay said:
    Sorry, I corpsed at "and then use at home for upstairs". 
    We have a vacuum cleaner and with four people and a dog there's a reasonable amount for it to do so it's a fairly standard one. MrsTheWeary isn't able to carry pretty much anything of any weight for medical reasons so she likes us to have a small vacuum cleaner that can stay upstairs. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Can't beat the Dyson cordless ones. I've had others in the past but the Dyson is in its own league. Easy to clean, easy to use and very powerful. The only complaint is that the container fills up fast, which can be a good sign I guess!
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    We had a G Tech which was pish. Mrs bought a Dyson in Argus the other day. I haven't used it yet. But Mrs thinks it is not pish.
  • Dyson V6 Absolute here, superb vacuum Henry hasn't been out the cupboard since.

Dyson have a refurb section on their eBay outlet, they often have an extra 20% off day too.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Dyson-Outlet/Refurbished-/_i.html?_fsub=864005010&_sid=637260360&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

But the Dyson animal is currently £200 which is a bargain. 

The older one we had was less good - often overheated. But Dyson support is brilliant, and the new one is absolutely flawless in performance. 
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    get a Kirby, you softies
  •  Mrs bought a Dyson in Argus...
    Have Wishbone Ash fallen on hard times?
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Another +1 for the Dyson V6, works superbly. Had the cheaper Gtech and it was terrible (only picked up when going forwards!) but got the air ram thing now and that is really good.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    I've tested more vacuum cleaners than I care to list but this is the one that we continue to use.

The motor broke about two months ago, which is pretty damn soon into the period of ownership, but Vax replaced it without complaint under the guarantee.  Took a bit longer than I'd like for the replacement to actually be delivered, but hey ho!

One observation: although they are lighter and more compact than a traditional mains hoover like a Henry, a handheld rechargable hoover requires you to carry the main weight of the device around the house as you do the vacuuming.  And the weight of the device is concentrated around the motor, battery and dust collector which are usually near the handle.  This is more tiring for the muscles in your arm.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    this black and decker handheld one has been really good. Mrs wanted a dyson. I refused to buy into the hype. No complaints for anyone... so I win.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Vacuuming-Cleaning-Ironing/Black-Decker-Lithium-Flexi-18-Dark-Titanium/B00IUK7ZYG/ref=sr_1_38?s=kitchen-appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1493115436&sr=1-38&keywords=cordless+vacuum+cleaner
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Was seriously considering getting one of the Vax Slimvacs but the 4-5 hour charge time for 25mins of use is putting me off.