Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Squier Offset Range

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Soo... Red Mascis, Red Mascis with hardtail, Bullet Mustang (potentially quite a good starter guitar), and an HH Jazzmaster no-one wants. 

No 12 string?
    It's sad to see there's no electric 12 string in that line up, I've been sending them emails asking them if there's a new model on the horizon for the last year or so.

I have a VM jazzmaster & would just love a Squier electric 12 string guitar to go with it. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    hotpot said:
    Soo... Red Mascis, Red Mascis with hardtail, Bullet Mustang (potentially quite a good starter guitar), and an HH Jazzmaster no-one wants. 

No 12 string?
    It's sad to see there's no electric 12 string in that line up, I've been sending them emails asking them if there's a new model on the horizon for the last year or so.

I have a VM jazzmaster & would just love a Squier electric 12 string guitar to go with it. :)
    Me too. I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to work out whether to make it a Squier or a Chinese-made Fender in the Modern Player ilk. 

Assuming they can get a bridge that works it can't be much effort to at least have a half-arsed version. Anything would be more interesting than a 12-string Strat.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    hotpot said:

No 12 string?

Me too. I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to work out whether to make it a Squier or a Chinese-made Fender in the Modern Player ilk. 

Assuming they can get a bridge that works it can't be much effort to at least have a half-arsed version. Anything would be more interesting than a 12-string Strat.
    Are Fender still pursuing the Modern Player line? They seem to have cut the models available and not introduced any new ones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Maybe not. They seem to be cutting the line back down to the important stuff which is overdue. That said they're making an effort with the American Pro JM and Jag so they're clearly trying to offer more than just strats and teles :)
    Maybe not. They seem to be cutting the line back down to the important stuff which is overdue. That said they're making an effort with the American Pro JM and Jag so they're clearly trying to offer more than just strats and teles :)
    It's the JM, Jag and Coronado as well as the Strat, that they've cut from the Modern Player range, just a few Teles and the Starcaster now. Shame as I have the black Modern Player JM and it's a very well made guitar with a great feeling neck.

There was some rumours a few years back, when the Modern Player line appeared, that Fender were testing the waters with the view to maybe moving standard Strat/Tele production from Mexico to China?
  • I've been after a cheap offset hardtail for a while so the Mustang appeals. The big worry is that £115 is too cheap for it actually to be any good. 
  • I've been after a cheap offset hardtail for a while so the Mustang appeals. The big worry is that £115 is too cheap for it actually to be any good. 
    I went for a vintage modified model that's very close to the original mustang line, a little more money but not much.  If tuning is why you want to go hardtail you might want to reconsider and check these out.  I've been playing mine everyday for about a week without the bar in place and I've hardly had to tune it at all.  I'm taking it to my next band practice this Saturday to see how it does there.  I've never been a big wammy bar user and have mostly used hardtail guitars in the past. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited January 2017
    The Modern Player Tele's were/are hideous anyway, a Tele with a middle pickup is gross, plus the absence of a Tele style bridge, it's just wrong.

The P90 one is OK.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    So I dont know if the published specs are wrong but it would appear that the Bullet Mustang has a 24.75" scale length.
    That seems a bit of an odd choice right ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I went for a vintage modified model that's very close to the original mustang line, a little more money but not much.  If tuning is why you want to go hardtail you might want to reconsider and check these out.  I've been playing mine everyday for about a week without the bar in place and I've hardly had to tune it at all.  I'm taking it to my next band practice this Saturday to see how it does there.  I've never been a big wammy bar user and have mostly used hardtail guitars in the past. 

---The VM ones do look nice but they're three times the price! I'm going to save up some cash and then go shopping, see what happens. 
  • DrBob said:
    So I dont know if the published specs are wrong but it would appear that the Bullet Mustang has a 24.75" scale length.
    Probably is - it's the same spec and colour as the old Squier Cyclone, circa 2003, with the exception that it's now a hardtail.

I'm pretty bloody tempted actually. :\
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Cobain died in 1994. Grunge is by and large a spent force. So why do Fender persist in making guitars aimed at a market that lost is mass appeal at least 20 years ago?

Humfuggers in a Jazzmaster? Really?

And why do they persist in shoving P90s in Jazzmasters? The original design pickup is awesome, if made properly and can be overwound to produce something with more mids if needed for a 'modern player'. I'm not anti P90s (far from it - I love them) but seriously, a JM is not the guitar I think of when thinking of the best 'vehicle' for that tone.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a Squier Electric 12 string - frankly, they could make them with a Fender name on it and sell them for a premium for not a massive upscale in manufacturing costs... thereby making more money. And frankly, they know we'd all flock out to buy one... assuming they didn't put fucking Gibson-style pickups in them!!

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    DrBob said:
    Probably is - it's the same spec and colour as the old Squier Cyclone, circa 2003, with the exception that it's now a hardtail.

I'm pretty bloody tempted actually. :\
    Me too Si ! Funnily enough I'm tempted to get one & stick those Goldfoils in it ! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:

And why do they persist in shoving P90s in Jazzmasters? The original design pickup is awesome, if made properly and can be overwound to produce something with more mids if needed for a 'modern player'. I'm not anti P90s (far from it - I love them) but seriously, a JM is not the guitar I think of when thinking of the best 'vehicle' for that tone.
    The listing says the Baritone JM has P90's but if you look at the pictures on the GuitarGuitar website, it's clearly JM route pickups. 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    All this stuff is pretty popular in Japan and Asia where people are small  and a love of grunge As Fender Japan is off the map now it may well be a great marketing idea .
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    impmann said:

The listing says the Baritone JM has P90's but if you look at the pictures on the GuitarGuitar website, it's clearly JM route pickups. 
    They'll be the same pickups as the J Mascis - P90s in a Jazzmaster route
    Stop crying, start buying
    Those wondering about offset popularity should check out offsetguitars- there are loads of guys interested in offsets both traditionally and with different pickups & wiring. They're great comfortable shapes that make a great base for something different from the usual strat/tele thing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:

Andertons list P90s, but GuitarGuitar do specify Jazzmaster pickups. Fender need to update their own website, none of this models are yet listed
    It's quite possible whoever wrote the copy at Andertons thinks JM pickups *are* P90s

---The VM ones do look nice but they're three times the price! I'm going to save up some cash and then go shopping, see what happens. 
    I didn't realize the price difference was that much, I'm in Canada trying to calculate currency in my head.  Anyway, I took this Mustang to a band practice yesterday and confirmed that it is a true gem.  Stayed in tune throughout and everybody loved the sound.   It is now my main guitar, over my Gibson Les Paul and my Squier Tele(which is a fine guitar for being a Squier).  I use a chorus pedal and distortion pedal, both sounded great.  It is a short scale guitar but I'm not a shredder and my solos are mostly 8 to 16 bars in some of our songs, I never run out of neck.  I haven't tried any of the cheaper offsets that this thread was initially about but I can assume I know why they are that much cheaper.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay