Friedman Small box vs. Dirty Shirley

andyozandyoz Frets: 718
edited January 2017 in Amps
Nice video here comparing the two for anyone considering either.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GadgetGadget Frets: 896
    Oh great. Thanks for that. I already knew I wanted the SB50, now I want the DS too!... ;)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    I think the Smallbox come out of it as the most versatile IMO.
    I agree. Whilst the DS has that lovely 'open' sound, I get the impression I'd be able to turn-down the SB50 to get very close to that, but not turn-up the DS to get to SB50 territory.
    Yeah, that sums it up well. It's true what everyone says about the Friedman MV though
    Sounded great at all setiings to me. Interesting to be able to hear a demo of the MV properly recorded at a constant monitoring volume, so you can hear the way the tone changes, not just be impressed by 'louder'. Like most amps, it seemed to sound best set pretty high, but definitely impressive all the way through.
    Yeah, that's why I posted the video as there aren't any decent videos of Friedman gear IMO, especially comparing two with a good range of playing (and properly recorded)
    Indeed. Much as I love my high gain sounds too, there are too many vids of Friedman gear with players just rockin-out balls to the wall squealy squealy stylee... It doesn't do them any favours, as I would guess most players want more than that. I was amazed to play the BE and find that it actually does low and mid-gain fabulously well too. Hard to find that portrayed in most demos.
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    I've had both.

Both great amps. SB is more versatile, but the DS sounds better imho
  • monkey42 said:
    I've had both.

Both great amps. SB is more versatile, but the DS sounds better imho
    Me too. I agree with the monkey man. SB is more versatile but I prefer the playability and tone of the DS. I've had the SB and the wildwood version plus 2 DS 40's. A head and combo. I prefer the DS head version as it kinda breathes better outside of the 1x12 cab. I have kept the combo and had a head box made up for it. Lovely!