Pete Cornish Pedals: The Verdict.

What's Hot

Comments

• garfygarfy Frets: 144
    :) thanks James :)  yep def fuller with the Hiwatt...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    garfy said:
    :) thanks James :)  yep def fuller with the Hiwatt...
    The phone is nearer the Hiwatt- an important point...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Thanks for that James, interesting to hear your thoughts comparing them.
    im looking for a BK and about to buy a KoT so you've confirmed my expectations with your descriptions.  
  • Interesting. I now know how to voice your posts internally!

I preferred the J40, sounded a bit more open / less focussed. Very marginal though. I imagine in the room the physical impact of the 4 speakers would be quite noticeable compared to the open backed combo.

From the vids i have to say I'm not hearing a great deal of effect from the 3q1. It sounds like a tad of extra compression and a wee bit of a mid boost.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I preferred the Lazy J too, sounded more articulate. 
  • Are you attenuating the Hiwatt? It looks like you have the master on half way and the preamps the same - would be bloody loud!
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    You can't tell anything from those vids - the phone is compressing the fuck out of the sound. I'm guessing the sound is louder with the 3Q-1 engaged, but only based on the amount of compression artefacts there are.

It will sound totally different in the room.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    Are you attenuating the Hiwatt? It looks like you have the master on half way and the preamps the same - would be bloody loud!
    What do you take me for? No! (I've made this point many times- a Hiwatt is totally linear...that thing cranks out 98w clean and 218 dirty- ask @RiftAmps !!)

I attenuate a tad on the compressor, that's it.
    Interesting. I now know how to voice your posts internally!

I preferred the J40, sounded a bit more open / less focussed. Very marginal though. I imagine in the room the physical impact of the 4 speakers would be quite noticeable compared to the open backed combo.

From the vids i have to say I'm not hearing a great deal of effect from the 3q1. It sounds like a tad of extra compression and a wee bit of a mid boost.
    That's exactly it.

I will try and use a better recording thing than an iPhone....I have much better on my SLR. I'll do some more as long as they're good enough.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5260
    lovely playing, though putting a voice to the online persona was the best bit:)  great sounding rig even via a phone.
    Gassage said:
    I will try and use a better recording thing than an iPhone....I have much better on my SLR. I'll do some more as long as they're good enough.
    It would be good if you could use a proper mic, even a simple '57 into a sound card, and recorded direct to PC. Anything else is, frankly, pointless when you're trying to demonstrate such a subtle effect.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5161
    I preferred the Lazyj clip...but that might be my old ears liking things with a bit more top end :)
    tone1 said:
    I preferred the Lazyj clip...but that might be my old ears liking things with a bit more top end :)
    I'm pretty sure it's just a bit quieter so not getting compressed as much by the phone.
    edited January 2017
    Good point because I've been sitting here wondering why it sounded so compressed. It really isn't quite as compressed as that in the room....(even though the original SOYCD intro was super compressed with 2 comps on it)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Phones are simply not designed to record such things in an authentic fashion. They will compress, limit, and generally mess with the sound.

R.
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Does the 3Q1 dial in so differently depending on where volume and gain is set at like the CC1? The Cc1 to me compresses weirdly when the gain and volume are on certain settings. 
  • philrob1philrob1 Frets: 21
    edited January 2017
    Very nice clips James. Very different amps, on any given day you'd be happy be with either - so DON'T sell them.

You know I'm a bit of a Cornish fanboy also

Different FX to what you have. Same quality, just different flavours. Nothing quite like them! It's not just the FX themselves, but the way they interact with other pedals that makes such a huge difference.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    edited January 2017
    Lol a pre cbs strat, through the worlds most revered pedals into two unbelievable world class amps.., and you record it through your iPhone?

nice playing btw! I don't know if you've heard of him, but there's a little known player called Dave Gilmour... he's heavily influenced by your style.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lol a pre cbs strat, through the worlds most revered pedals into two unbelievable world class amps.., and you record it through your iPhone?

nice playing btw! I don't know if you've heard of him, but there's a little known player called Dave Gilmour... he's heavily influenced by your style.
    LOL - errr....yes.

Need to find something suitable to record with. When I was broken into they stole my little Tascam GT thingy and I didn't realise until last night.

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Gassage said:

LOL - errr....yes.

Need to find something suitable to record with. When I was broken into they stole my little Tascam GT thingy and I didn't realise until last night.
    Sorry mate! Thieves suck.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    If you have a camera kit for your iphone, one of these for £40 and a half decent mic close up will sound infinitely better than the internal phone gubbins.

http://www.alesis.com/products/view/core-1