VC30 problem - sussed it - & I could kick myself!

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
edited January 2017 in Amps
I had an intermittent 'motor-boating' noise on my Laney VC30-10.  Following advice from ICBM I changed the phase invertor 12AX7 and it was fine for a while, but then it came back.  Was just about to take it to my amp tech guy to look over and then a thought hit me.  Try it via a a different power socket - and sure enough no noise.  Plugged into the offending socket, and there was the noise again.

I can't believe I missed such a blindingly obvious thing to try, but it was clearly picking up noise from another device plugged in the ring-main on that circuit somewhere.  My Marshall 8080 VR80 was plugged into the same socket but wasn't affected & which is why it never occurred to me before.  I can only assume that the Laney was more sensitive to it as its a valve amp.  And I checked it wasn't the 8080 causing the problem as I unplugged it when I was trying different sockets, and I've now connected both to the unaffected socket, and all good.

So, if anyone else should hear weird stuff from their gear, the moral is - check the blindingly obvious stuff first as it may not actually be the piece of gear itself that's the problem.

Feel a bit daft, but I'm just pleased I've got to the bottom of it. oops

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I used to get intermediate motor-boating but my missus won't let me any more....
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited January 2017
    I used to get intermediate motor-boating but my missus won't let me any more....
    Well done Prof for spotting the deliberate typo...you've won first prize which is a night of unbridled motor-boating with your missus!D  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had an issue when I had an amp once, was getting this regular ticking sound.  Driving me crazy it was, and I'd called the shop I bought it from and they agreed I could return it.

I then realised I still had my watch on.  Yep, gotta love single coils eh?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    I had an issue when I had an amp once, was getting this regular ticking sound.  Driving me crazy it was, and I'd called the shop I bought it from and they agreed I could return it.

I then realised I still had my watch on.  Yep, gotta love single coils eh?
    If its any consolation, you're not alone - I've read about that phenomena happening to other folk too.  ;)