Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2/3 delay suggestions

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Sam, try The Fairfield Circuitry Meet Maude as one of them - I know you love your weird, and it sounds stunning. No doubt in my mind that you'd love it. Ideal circumstances too; it's not really a pedal that'll suffice as your only delay, but my god it sounds beautiful - I'd still happily have another, it's second only to my Moog for sound. 

I really, really want to try this and the accountant. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sam, try The Fairfield Circuitry Meet Maude as one of them - I know you love your weird, and it sounds stunning. No doubt in my mind that you'd love it. Ideal circumstances too; it's not really a pedal that'll suffice as your only delay, but my god it sounds beautiful - I'd still happily have another, it's second only to my Moog for sound. 

I really, really want to try this and the accountant. 
    Wise. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    My two penneth...

1.) DMM Analogue (on a budget)
    - Sub Decay Anamnesis
    - Seymour Duncan Vapour Trail (brill)

2.) Digital Cleans
    - Strymon DIG
    - TC Electronic Triple
    - Flight Time (far better than the Chrono imho)

3.) Multi
    - Nemesis
    - Timeline

4.) Overall Do Everything
    - Boss DD500

The stand out ? 

MXR Echoplex

• My two penneth...

1.) DMM Analogue (on a budget)
    - Sub Decay Anamnesis
    - Seymour Duncan Vapour Trail (brill)

2.) Digital Cleans
    - Strymon DIG
    - TC Electronic Triple

3.) Multi
    - Nemesis
    - Timeline

4.) Overall Do Everything
    - Boss DD500

The stand out ? 

MXR Echoplex

Perfect.

I'll add that DMM on a budget can be got with a second hand XO, I got mine for £100 a few months back (post Brexit too).

Agree with FTT FT comment. DIG is great.

Hankering for a Nemesis, myself.

Only other one I'd recommend trying is an El Cap. TC Nova always sounds nice too.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Well, if budget is beyond the Ana and Echo Park, I'd recommend El Cap and Nemesis. Timefactor is awesome but big.
  • Go buy the Raygun Aurora from classifieds (not mine)
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Ok, wow...this is developing into quite a list!

i think I have to spend some quality time on YouTube!

also, I was going through my stuff last night and I stumbled upon a delay pedal that I have used for ages, it's a multiplex tape delay thing...which does some amazing things from memory. I have a love/hate relationship with it as it's so big and has side mounted jacks which means it takes up so much space on my board. But I'll have a play around with it and see if that flavour is for me...and the get a small one!

also on the DMM topic...I've had a memory boy before, and although it was nice, I wasn't hugely impressed...is the DMM much different? 

I now regret selling my hardwire delay...that was a perfect clean standard digital delay...which I could have paired up with other ones. 

• The DMM is the original and great sounding unit. The Memory Boy and others in the range are known to not be as good. People swear the big old boxes are better than the new, smaller chassis XO version of the DMM, that's up to you to decide. I don't think that's the case and I've owned both. i sold them all too and have just found myself coming back to it because i love the sound.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    My two penneth...

2.) Digital Cleans

The stand out ? 

MXR Echoplex

Interesting comments - I still fancy the chrono - is it the extra features and presets you prefer or do you think it sounds better?   

How would you compste the echoplex to the el cap - I really like the strymon.   
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    For something a little different try the Caroline Kilobyte. Absolutely love it. 
    I was watching the rig rundown with ( Nashville producer) Dave Cobb and he was talking about this -' a DM2 on steroids.' 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • For something a little different try the Caroline Kilobyte. Absolutely love it. 
    I was watching the rig rundown with ( Nashville producer) Dave Cobb and he was talking about this -' a DM2 on steroids.' 
    Got the link for that video?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

It's at 40 minutes in, only a fairly brief mention - waving it around rather than playing it. The whole video is quite interesting ( there's a separate Discussion on here about it; Cobb has recorded various Americana acts but also Rival Sons whose singer pops up in this part way through)with 
    lots of tasteful gear ( old Fenders, a Dumble modified Fender, that kind of thing). 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

• It's at 40 minutes in, only a fairly brief mention - waving it around rather than playing it. The whole video is quite interesting ( there's a separate Discussion on here about it; Cobb has recorded various Americana acts but also Rival Sons whose singer pops up in this part way through)with 
    lots of tasteful gear ( old Fenders, a Dumble modified Fender, that kind of thing). 

Cheers!
  • The Boss DD500 you can stack two delays and, I also believe, you can change the function of the tap button to be a preset. So that's three switches/ pre sets before you go into the menus, MIDI,etc. It probably is over complicated but looks like you can keep it to a simple set up.

The dual delay mode on the DD-500 lets you set up two delays (can be digital, analog or tape) either in series or parallel, synchronized or not. There's also a pattern delay that allows you to set up to 16(?) separate delays.

There are several ways you can set up the DD-500's footswitches:

A / B / CTL - A and B presets flip-flop

A + B / CTL - can run A + B simultaneously- any two adjacent presets, so you could use two dual or two pattern delays.

Bypass / Bank up / Bank down

A / B / C - flip-flop

The third footswitch is labelled "tap/CTL", and can be used for tap tempo, but can also be set up to a whole range of other functions. From Boss's website: 

•Tap—Set the delay in time with a song’s tempo.
    •Hold—The delay’s feedback is held continuously while the switch is pressed.
    •Warp—Increases the delay’s feedback and level simultaneously for powerful expressive effects.
    •Twist—Adjusts multiple delay parameters with a single press, creating wild sounds similar to twisting the panel knobs in real time.
    •Moment—Outputs the delay sound only when you hold down the switch.
    •Roll 1/2—Cuts the delay time to 1/2 of the current setting when you hold down the switch.
    •Roll 1/4—Cuts the delay time to 1/4 of the current setting when you hold down the switch.
    •Roll 1/8—Cuts the delay time to 1/8 of the current setting when you hold down the switch.
    •Fade In—Fades in the delay sound.
    •Fade Out—Fades out the delay sound.
    •Assign 1-8—Allows you to assign and control up to eight different delay parameters at once.

The assigns allow you to change just about anything that any of the effects modes can do, either toggle or ramp between different settings, sync to an LFO (which can be set to be always on within a patch or toggled) etc. There's also scope to add an external dual footswitch, so you can have three different CTL settings- say, one for tap, one for hold, one for toggling modulation on and off. There's a whole shitload of stuff you can do with it but it's reasonably straightforward to program. Reasonably.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.