New Gibsons ?

What's Hot
2

Comments

  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 229
    Incredibly incredibly dull 

    AKA Gibson.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DougDoug Frets: 73
    edited January 8
    Rabs said:
     The thing is Gibson got it right with the Double Cut which was like the late 50s....  They also sometimes do a double cut standard which I also really like....
    Why? will they not produce a standard USA line of the original shaped DC Junior/Special, gloss nitro finish and 50's neck. They'd sell!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 1573
    edited January 8
    Found this



    And a mention for TheFB here
    https://www.gearnews.com/new-gibsons-guitar-model-ces-show/

    The left hand don't know what the right one's doin'


    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 2840
    Rabs said:

     The thing is Gibson got it right with the Double Cut which was like the late 50s....  They also sometimes do a double cut standard which I also really like....

    I think you are right in that the DC Standard was not a bad guitar and to a degree their shape - Yet they only really introduced it after Hamer released the Studio Custom and before that the Hamer Sunburst - and remember this design was the original thought plan for PRS
    The DCs were nice looking guitars, but again they had a 24 fret board with inaccessible top two frets.  I prefer the more recent version with 22 frets and redesigned cutaways, presumably to allow for a stronger neck joint.



    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 1693
    edited January 8
     I bet even @HarrySeven does not have one
    No...but it's on my Wants list!
    HarrySeven - searching for sh*t guitars so you don't have to.

    Feedback thread: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58233/harryseven
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RabsRabs Frets: 348
    Doug said:
    Rabs said:
     The thing is Gibson got it right with the Double Cut which was like the late 50s....  They also sometimes do a double cut standard which I also really like....
    Why? will they not produce a standard USA line of the original shaped DC Junior/Special, gloss nitro finish and 50's neck. They'd sell!

    Lol..   Why Gibson do what they do...  Only they know...  They have made some very strange decisions over the last few years.. Let alone who ever it is that comes up with the names for the models need s a good slap  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RabsRabs Frets: 348
    Doug said:
    Rabs said:
     The thing is Gibson got it right with the Double Cut which was like the late 50s....  They also sometimes do a double cut standard which I also really like....
    Why? will they not produce a standard USA line of the original shaped DC Junior/Special, gloss nitro finish and 50's neck. They'd sell!


    I just spotted this in that line up posted above...  Looks very much like an old school DC..  Im sure more details will come soon enough (probably at NAMM)

    http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/c83lvxxxxZL_zpskubpbp34.jpg

    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 2624
    22 fret access, with 24 frets. Nice...
    How much does it weigh? & Does it play like butter?

    You can now read my insane guitar ramblings daily here http://www.gearnews.com
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BucketBucket Frets: 5707
    Yep, the top two frets would bug me. Also the cutaways look weird - the horns are too fat.

    I approve of the general idea of Gibson making a more modern-styled 24-fret guitar though. Especially with a redesigned headstock.
    - "Health and family are the top two most important things. Followed by outrageous guitar solos." - thomasross20
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • bobliefeldbobliefeld Frets: 319
    Looks like a wolfgang 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 2840
    edited January 8
    Rabs said:

    I just spotted this in that line up posted above...  Looks very much like an old school DC..  Im sure more details will come soon enough (probably at NAMM)

    http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/c83lvxxxxZL_zpskubpbp34.jpg

    I suspect that's a Historic.  Wildwood Guitars have an aged, black Collectors' Choice Historic Junior on their site at the moment.  $5k+.  Unfortunately.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NickLNickL Frets: 40
    Is that a green LP with a Floyd, locking nut and big block inlays on the left of the picture? Hmmm.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RabsRabs Frets: 348
    NickL said:
    Is that a green LP with a Floyd, locking nut and big block inlays on the left of the picture? Hmmm.

    Probably the new Les Paul Axcess model.... probably
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 661
    Gibson Uptown? Gibson Downtown?  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • proggyproggy Frets: 556
    I don't like them, I'm not really a fan of Gibsons, apart from the 335. So it's a no from me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 287
    Finally remember what it reminds me of. The ESP Potbelly


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • rossirossi Frets: 219
    Lets face it guys .Musical instruments are dull  in reality .No really exiting pianos or trumpets and the harpsichord doesnt get a make over very often .Sure technology improves , in theory , but the basic  40's -50-s guitar designs work .The rest  is just preference as to pickups ,frets etc ..3 wheel cars never inspire the imagination and I havnt seen a 5 wheeler yet  thats because 4  wheels work .Same for guitars IMHO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 1313
    Isn't the new one the same silhouette at least as that bonkers MIII model ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RoxRox Frets: 1688
    rossi said:
    Lets face it guys .Musical instruments are dull  in reality .No really exiting pianos or trumpets and the harpsichord doesnt get a make over very often .Sure technology improves , in theory , but the basic  40's -50-s guitar designs work .The rest  is just preference as to pickups ,frets etc ..3 wheel cars never inspire the imagination and I havnt seen a 5 wheeler yet  thats because 4  wheels work .Same for guitars IMHO
    Sometimes we love a vintage vibe to a modern twist.  So a modern car with the regular number of wheels..?  Sure.

    But if you really want that vintage vibe, pop down the local auto parts store, maybe look at the classic chrome rims, pinstripes or other 50's accoutrements... alternatively go the whole hog and fit wagon wheels to your Hummer...


    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 6144
    Rox said:
    rossi said:
    Lets face it guys .Musical instruments are dull  in reality .No really exiting pianos or trumpets and the harpsichord doesnt get a make over very often .Sure technology improves , in theory , but the basic  40's -50-s guitar designs work .The rest  is just preference as to pickups ,frets etc ..3 wheel cars never inspire the imagination and I havnt seen a 5 wheeler yet  thats because 4  wheels work .Same for guitars IMHO
    Sometimes we love a vintage vibe to a modern twist.  So a modern car with the regular number of wheels..?  Sure.

    But if you really want that vintage vibe, pop down the local auto parts store, maybe look at the classic chrome rims, pinstripes or other 50's accoutrements... alternatively go the whole hog and fit wagon wheels to your Hummer...


    Meh. They are smaller than they used to be in the seventies...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 1573
    rossi said:
    Lets face it guys .Musical instruments are dull  in reality .No really exiting pianos or trumpets and the harpsichord doesnt get a make over very often .Sure technology improves , in theory , but the basic  40's -50-s guitar designs work .The rest  is just preference as to pickups ,frets etc ..3 wheel cars never inspire the imagination and I havnt seen a 5 wheeler yet  thats because 4  wheels work .Same for guitars IMHO
    True. It's pretty hard to innovate in an area like instruments. There's not a whole lot you can add to improve them as the basic function dictates it's limitations. An instrument simply makes a noise so youre limited to either how it makes the noise, or the sound it produces. There have been innovations in certain areas but most changes are going to be aesthetics rather than revolutionary. 
    The left hand don't know what the right one's doin'


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 2840
    edited January 9
    DrBob said:
    Isn't the new one the same silhouette at least as that bonkers MIII model ?
    The cutaways are similar.  The MIII body is a little more squat, with a much longer upper horn and better top-fret access.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 1384
    And who's the saucy blonde with the double florentine cutaways and the 175-style markers?
    Dedivorp Snib.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 4954
    Nitefly said:
    And who's the saucy blonde with the double florentine cutaways and the 175-style markers?
    Dunno, that piqued my curiosity too...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 344
    I quite like it in goldtop but don't know if the headstock suits it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 1458
    @Nitefly - almost looks like a soldbody Johnny A? Different inlays though...
    Guitars: PRS Paul's Guitar, PRS S2 Cu22s/h, Trini Lopez tribute, Fusion Guitars T-style, Taylor 314ce-K Ltd
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 454
    I really like the look of those.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 1867
    TimmyO said:
    Seen at CES



    prototypes apparently.

    Not super original but I quite like them.
    I think they have a touch of the Yahama Revstar and the Ibanez Roadster ii

    https://goo.gl/images/Zf0tgO

    https://goo.gl/images/IVXGFA

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SyncSync Frets: 113
    I quite like them.

    But Gibson don't seem to get that their strength is in their legacy, built over the Rock decades that have long since passed. There are no big artists to make this design famous or sought after.

    It still feels like they are trying to compete with PRS; who are a modern guitar builder with a modern design, outlook and market. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1174
    Sync said:
    I quite like them.

    But Gibson don't seem to get that their strength is in their legacy, built over the Rock decades that have long since passed. There are no big artists to make this design famous or sought after.

    It still feels like they are trying to compete with PRS; who are a modern guitar builder with a modern design, outlook and market. 

    I agree, this would have worked if they introduced it 40 years ago, before PRS was a thing. Now the older company with the original design that PRS evolved on looks like a mediocre imitator.

    Also, they are very different markets, I'd say that someone looking for an R8 wouldn't buy a PRS and someone looking for a PRS wouldn't buy an R8.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.