A question please.

proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I was sorting some stuff out at the weekend and found one of my old pedals that I had from the 80's, when I was a bass player. It's a Boss Flanger BF-2B.

My question is, would I be able to use this for guitar, or is it just for bass?

Many thanks

Steve.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited January 2017
    Should be fine for guitar, try it :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    You can definitely use it for guitar. The main difference compared to the BF-2 is that it has a cutoff to stop the flanging being applied to the note fundamentals, so it doesn't make the bass sound out of tune. On a guitar it will just sound a bit lighter and less deep than the BF-2.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Thanks lads, I'll get a battery for it later and give it a go.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    ICBM said:
    You can definitely use it for guitar. The main difference compared to the BF-2 is that it has a cutoff to stop the flanging being applied to the note fundamentals, so it doesn't make the bass sound out of tune. On a guitar it will just sound a bit lighter and less deep than the BF-2.
    That's interesting !

Are there any other Bass pedals that function as a more subtle version when used with a guitar? Maybe the Bass overdrives or Muffs? Has anyone ever tried them ?
  • CE-2B is one I know, works with guitar. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    Alnico said:

Are there any other Bass pedals that function as a more subtle version when used with a guitar? Maybe the Bass overdrives or Muffs? Has anyone ever tried them ?
    Most bass pedals work in one of two ways - modulations avoid effecting the fundamentals, and distortions let you blend clean signal in with the dirt.

Blending clean guitar with distortion is something that some people like, and others can't stand… I'm in the second camp :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Very interesting. 
    I shall look Into this. 
  • Alnico said:
    ICBM said:
    That's interesting !

The Bass Big Muff is a different circuit entirely to the 'normal' US big muff - with the bass boost disengaged, it's actually identical (or near as dammit) to the black Russian big muff, which is now sought-after and expensive.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    +1 for bass big muff. Great on guitar
  • Interestingly, I've always preferred the sound of guitar distortions on bass rather than specific bass distortion.