Should I go for it?

What's Hot
olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
I recently found a company who will build you a Custom Made guitar using a Korean Made body and neck for very low prices.

I have a quote for £209, plus whatever a Bridge, Tuners and Pickups cost. That would be £311 for a Tele with Wilkinson Trem, Wilkinson Locking Tuners, a Tonerider Hot Classic Bridge and Entwistle Nashville Neck.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27487
    That's not "custom made"

That's "pick what you want off our (cheap) production line"

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5261
    no that doesnt sound like a good deal at all it sounds like a cheap deal
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Linky?

and as Tony says that's a bitsa rather than a custom, but might still be cool.
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    my custom made has so far cost me £1000+ and still going  lol
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    edited January 2017
    Personally I'd rather shit in my hands and then clap, but it depends what you're expecting from it.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Your probably better off getting a 2nd hand 'classic vibe' or 'vintage modified'.

The necks and pickups are already very good, and you can always upgrade bits as and when you can afford it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    "Korean made" could mean anything.
    For that money it won't be much.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    DefaultM said:
    Personally I'd rather shit in my hands and then clap, but it depends what you're expecting from it.
    Pictures or GTFO 

;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5261
    pm sent
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    Will have to be tomorrow morning now. I only shit on company time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Your probably better off getting a 2nd hand 'classic vibe' or 'vintage modified'.

The necks and pickups are already very good, and you can always upgrade bits as and when you can afford it.
    This.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    didn't someone on the musicradar forum once have a blue Dave Grohl style 335 made in Korea in the exact same way and posted the to-and-fro with the factory and the end result wasn't that bad?
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • Have seen some horror stories on Youtube with these 'custom builds'.
    seems a bit of a gamble.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9615
    edited January 2017
    monoamine said:
    didn't someone on the musicradar forum once have a blue Dave Grohl style 335 made in Korea in the exact same way and posted the to-and-fro with the factory and the end result wasn't that bad?
    That was a Chibson.

A partscaster is more fun and meaningful if you source the parts and build it yourself imho. This sounds like you'd just get a generic far eastern budget guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    This is through Boult Guitars so the guy buys the Body and Neck from Korea and assembles it here with any Hardware you want. He then gives it a full setup, so I don't think it's too bad. It's got some decent reviews. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9615
    Your probably better off getting a 2nd hand 'classic vibe' or 'vintage modified'.

And if you decided to move it on, you'd lose very little money. You'd be lucky to get £100 for a used no-name partscaster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_xtpaul_xt Frets: 86
    This is through Boult Guitars so the guy buys the Body and Neck from Korea and assembles it here with any Hardware you want. He then gives it a full setup, so I don't think it's too bad. It's got some decent reviews. 
    I know Chris through a mutual friend and he seems to be a thoroughly nice guy. I'll drop him a message tomorrow and see if he wants to stop by on here and answer any questions if you like?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Or the other way to look at it would be that (resale value aside as that is a bitch) If your vendor has done his research and found a decent quality Korean vendor then the fit & finish will probably be very good and if it's set up well it could be a very cool & personalised guitar for a decent price, albeit with sod all resale
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Korean stuff is easily as good as Japanese these days 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited January 2017
    The only reason I was looking at this is because I want both a Tele and something with a Vibrato, and a Bigsby costs too much. I also really like Filtertron Neck Pickup sounds. 

Actually, does anyone have any experience with Fletcher Pickups? In particular the Twang tele bridge and Big Fletch O Tron neck.