Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Prog rock - did you need to be there?

What's Hot

Comments

• IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    edited January 2017
    Absolutely, Roland. That was a perfect summary. Prog Rock involves a massive world, exotic, complicated, sophisticated and beautiful. I can't fathom those who dismiss it as shite. And yes, jazz musicians got to play rock, M. Davis would've got to play with Hendrix if he hadn't passed away. However, give Coltrane a chance, get some headphones, put the lights out and give Coltrane a chance. He's certainly not running through scales.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    BigMonka said:

So prog rock, to really "get it" did you need to be there at the time?
    I always thought that you needed to both be there, and be not there, at the same time.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited January 2017
    I admire the musicianship, imagination and creativity, but it doesn't really do it for me a lot of the time. Better to me than jazz though, at least it usually sounds like something listenable.

I do like some Rush (mostly the ones that aren't so proggy) but it's not something I can listen to for long. 

Although I do love The Mars Volta...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2951

I prefer the spacier side of prog, such as Ozric Tentacles. Ed Wynne is a smokin’ guitarist.

Fortunately, I was around for Ozrics. And very grateful too. Probably the band I have seen, lived, breathed and (eaten strange fungi with) most for the duration of my little window on this world. Good choice. Shazam!
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    ...any Nectar fans on here? How they aren't recognised above the 'prog legends' is beyond me.

MAN band too, while we're at it. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    What on earth do you mean 'Did you need to be there?????' Prog has been ever present since its inception, and it has never been bigger. There is an amazing amount of prog bands out there now. 

Prog is absolutely my favourite music and my 2 favourite bands are both prog. Don't get it? just move on it isn't for everyone.
  • blobb said:

I prefer the spacier side of prog, such as Ozric Tentacles. Ed Wynne is a smokin’ guitarist.

Fortunately, I was around for Ozrics. And very grateful too. Probably the band I have seen, lived, breathed and (eaten strange fungi with) most for the duration of my little window on this world. Good choice. Shazam!
    Nice; I saw them twice at the Liverpool Lomax in the 90's, the blew my mind. 

Thinking about it, I do like a lot of bands of 'my time' with elements of prog, such as Tortoise, Mastodon, mars volta, tool etc If I had been around at the time, I probably would have been into the original prog bands. 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Born in 54 and loved it at the time. Less so nowadays, I re-bought Genesis's Nursery Cryme the other day and it sounds really dated. I still have a massive soft spot for 70s era King Crimson, Focus and Man though.

I was never an ELP or Yes fan, they were always too on the pretentious side of prog for me. I always preferred the rockier, heavier end.

@DarnWeight. Good call on Magma. Saw them play live a couple of times and they were epic. Did you know Steve Interesting Davis is also a massive fan? :)  
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    edited January 2017

is it really 44 years?!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • each to his own...
    but it's still shockingly pretenious piles of steaming hot elephant shite.. in my opinion...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    boogieman said:

@DarnWeight. Good call on Magma. Saw them play live a couple of times and they were epic. Did you know Steve Interesting Davis is also a massive fan? :)  
    Didn't he organise tours in the UK for them once or twice?  An odd snooker/prog conflation if ever there was one!

Almost forgot, big props too for Charles Hayward.  Came out of the Canterbury scene, a phenomenal drummer who took a very distinctive musical path, a lot of which can be considered progressive without being prog.  Both This Heat and Camberwell Now are huge favourites of mine.

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I never have been able to get into all that stuff like Genesis and ELP, but fortunately there was Van Der Graaf Generator!

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    boogieman said:

Didn't he organise tours in the UK for them once or twice?  An odd snooker/prog conflation if ever there was one!

Ha ha, I didn't know that! I only discovered the connection recently from one of the band's live dvds: he's being interviewed (as a fan) at a Magma convention. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    dogload said:
    I never have been able to get into all that stuff like Genesis and ELP, but fortunately there was Van Der Graaf Generator!
    Agreed. And Hammill carried on being progressive for the next forty odd years unlike many of his contemporaries.

Ah yes VDGG, real pioneers.

Steve Davis is a real prog head, he just did some interviews with Gong.

Here's a gem you may not know, Le Orme. One of the 'big three' Italian prog groups, along with PFM and Banco. Only half an hour album but worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd70mBrJFqc

• I was born in '92. And I "get" Prog.

I love Rush, Yes, Jethro Tull, and many others... 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    A friend of mine has just released this album. He's a big prog fan and currently keyboard player in Atomic Rooster.

Check it out:

https://christianmadden.bandcamp.com/

Rob

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    I was born in 73 and I likes me Prog. I love a bit of Yes as well as the rockier stuff. Not so keen on ELP though.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    There have been quite a few bands mentioned here that I hadn't heard of before, so maybe I just haven't found a flavour of prog that fits my taste yet - I'll have a listen to some of the suggestions.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Listen to these few albums to get you started into the world of prog - these albums are more palatable for newcomers. Also, these prog albums aren't pretentious artsy fartsy stuff I guarantee:
    1. Genesis - Duke (1980)
    2. Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)
    3. Supertramp - Breakfast in America (1979)
    4. Supertramp - Crime of the Century (1974)
    5. Camel - I can see your house from here (1979)