Tele electrics problem

What's Hot
Hi all,

In a bid to stave off the GAS having started looking for a new band for the first time in a couple of years, I've decided to spruce up my existing guitars, which spent a few years being played very hard in a gigging punk band, and then a couple of years mostly in storage.

I pulled out my 'spare' Mex Tele last night to start cleaning it up; I plugged it in and it made no sound except for a loud buzz every time I touched anything metal on it (including strings). It was modified from stock a couple of times; firstly I had a four-way switch put in, and then later on I swapped the bridge singlecoil out for a Li'l 59 humbucker. It definitely worked previously, but something has obviously gone in it since it was last plugged in. Does anyone know what might be causing the issue, before I end up rewiring the whole thing? 

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Grounding.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Jack_ said:
    Grounding.
    Sounds like it. Check the earth wires connect to all the electronic parts and to the bridge and jack socket
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    edited January 2017
    Yes - the ground connection has come off, probably between the jack and the control panel.

One common problem is that Fender wire them with the jack ground going to the back of the *tone* pot, and everything else going to the volume - this is bad practice because it means the ground connection is made by the physical contact between both pots and the control plate, so if one comes loose or gets some corrosion in it, no ground. If it's this, either move the wire to the volume control - or add one between the two casings, even though in theory that causes a ground loop, in practice it doesn't seem to make any difference.

It's also possible the jack barrel has simply corroded enough inside that it's not connecting to the plug, even though it's touching.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom