Def Leppard, Poison and Tesla....

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
....touring the US together. 

Non ironic fingers crossed for U.K. dates....all the cool kids will be there for sure. 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    I liked but never saw Tesla. If you binned Poison I'd go - maybe replace them with the Quireboys or Thunder for the UK dates for me. I'd get my old VH tee out and everything :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    Saw Tesla back in '87 - great band....supporting Def Leppard 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33819
    I'd rather see Def Leppard, Whitesnake and Winger.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    Tesla kill live. 
    Poison were never great. First two Lep albums are incredible but after that... meh. 

Y&T would be a better addition but who would want to follow them? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    Reverend said:
    Tesla kill live. 
    Poison were never great. First two Lep albums are incredible but after that... meh. 

I'd like Def Lep to come to their senses and play more songs from High and Dry and Pyromania

Maybe I'd really like to go back to 1983 when I saw them too (lol)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Reverend said:
    Tesla kill live. 

I'd like Def Lep to come to their senses and play more songs from High and Dry and Pyromania

Maybe I'd really like to go back to 1983 when I saw them too (lol)
    I saw them such a long time ago, as far as I can work out it was 24/07/81. My abiding memory of it was that there were very few people there. 

I wouldn't be very interested in Poison; is there a version of Twisted Sister still going who could do the UK dates? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    octatonic said:
    That would be a great gig!     
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23022
    Saw Tesla back in '87 - great band....supporting Def Leppard 

I saw them on that tour, and also saw Tesla headlining at the Marquee - the latter was one of the very best gigs I've ever been to.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited January 2017

Am I the only one who liked Poison then? Flesh & Blood was a great album, like Appetite for Destruction but in a good mood.

C'mon CC lets walk this dawg... 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Am the only one who liked Poison then? Flesh & Blood was a great album, like Appetite for Destruction but in a good mood.

C'mon CC lets walk this dawg... 

Love a bit of Poison...had a best of album on in the car this morning!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    octatonic said:

Wis'd. But then I'd sit through a full-length Nickelback set to see Winger do one song.

:love:

• warheadwarhead Frets: 97
    octatonic said:
    Winger are one of my favorite bands......they are such an incredible, incredible musicians............with such an awesome ,awesome songs.....
    I do love me some Poison too, to be honest. Have first 3 albums on vinyl. A lot of their songs are cringe worthy, but some are just plain great, feel good songs.
    warhead said:
    octatonic said:
    Winger are one of my favorite bands......they are such an incredible, incredible musicians............with such an awesome ,awesome songs.....
    I do love me some Poison too, to be honest. Have first 3 albums on vinyl. A lot of their songs are cringe worthy, but some are just plain great, feel good songs.
    Winger are great.  I thought the last album was a little weak, but I've loved the first two since they first came out... and Pull and Winger IV are even better.

This thread made me go on a YouTube nostalgia trip last night, watching new live clips of old '80s bands.

Started with Tesla (Jeff Keith now sounds like Eric Cartman), then Dokken (Don is not looking well), a bit of Foreigner, Zebra, Triumph, Ratt (...ouch, painful...) and ended up watching loads of Michael Schenker clips - it seems he has a DVD coming out featuring his 80s band and all the singers from that period. 

None of it sounded great, to be honest, but I enjoyed it!

Philly_Q said:

This thread made me go on a YouTube nostalgia trip last night, watching new live clips of old '80s bands.

Started with Tesla (Jeff Keith now sounds like Eric Cartman), then Dokken (Don is not looking well), a bit of Foreigner, Zebra, Triumph, Ratt (...ouch, painful...) and ended up watching loads of Michael Schenker clips - it seems he has a DVD coming out featuring his 80s band and all the singers from that period. 

None of it sounded great, to be honest, but I enjoyed it!

I can`t comment on everything you wrote, as it would turn into a book........You are mentioning some of my fave bads, with Dokken(Lynch is also my fave guitar player) and Ratt being at the top of the list. Have watched some Dokken clips from their recent Japan reunion shows, and it was a huuuuuuuuge let down :-/ Don was so terrible......
    Philly_Q said:
    warhead said:
    octatonic said:
    Winger are great.  I thought the last album was a little weak, but I've loved the first two since they first came out... and Pull and Winger IV are even better.
    Didn`t like Pull when it came out........guess it was not cheesy enough :-) But when I listened to it again, maybe around 10 years ago, I was totally blown away by it`s quality. Like A Ritual and Spell I`m Under are out of this world good.......
    There is no such thing as the best song in the world, but my contenders are Spell I`m Under and Hot Cherie in Hardline`s version.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    If R. Kotzen joined Poison again I'd be literally looking forward to seeing them live. But he'd have to be nuts to lay off the Winery Dogs for a while just now. I wonder how old these guys are... will they be able to keep that glam going?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    IvanMC said:
    If R. Kotzen joined Poison again I'd be literally looking forward to seeing them live. But he'd have to be nuts to lay off the Winery Dogs for a while just now. I wonder how old these guys are... will they be able to keep that glam going?

I remember when I was playing Native Tongues to one of my friends.....he was reeeeallllllly puzzled hahhahahhaa. Just couldn`t grasp what is going on. I asked if he knows which band is it.......he said it sounds like Poison, but it isn`t, as the guitar playing is too good......I`ll never forget it :-)
  • eldarvanyareldarvanyar Frets: 32
    edited January 2017
    I think the problem is that they will never be as good as we remember them. 

Many of these groups end up as bad caricatures of their selves. I was sad to see the way that Richie Sambora from Bon Jovi has gone with RSO. Fame is not all its cracked up to be. There is often a cost to body mind and soul. 

It reminds me of a scene from Waynes World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74M0hPAeFHs

Tesla were a great sounding hard rock band from what I remember live and on vinyl. The Great Radio Controversy was a good album in my world and what I remember them most for. 

I loved the early Def Leppard up until the Hysteria album, and saw them live quite a few times at the Hammersmith Odeon and once at Wembey Arena. When Steve Clark died in 1991 they lost a vital part of the songwriting dynamic in the band. I suppose Mutt Lange was their George Martin and gave them their sound. 

I was never into Poison or Ratt, or that sort of glam rock, although I loved Dokken from that era, especially George Lynch's playing. Favourite album would be 'Back for the attack', he really fried the valves in his amp.

There are some great documentary vids from that era on youtube.  

I think I saw Kip Winger playing guitar at Webley Arena a few years ago in Whitesnake when they supported Journey at Wembley Arena. Great musician. Journey just seemed like Karaoke with their new singer. 

Nightranger were goo musicians with Brad Gillis if I remember rightly.

How about Steel Panther joining the tour as at least they will add humour a sort of Glam Rock Spinal Tap. Maybe that would be a good tour - Bad News (although Rik Mayall is now RIP) Spinal Tap, and Steel Panther.

If this is considered hijacking the thread then sorry about that.  
    'Less is more' or is it 'more is less?'

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    warhead said:
    IvanMC said:
    If R. Kotzen joined Poison again
    he said it sounds like Poison, but it isn`t, as the guitar playing is too good......
    Snort, like *that* is going to happen!

And what about the fact that the background singer on Native Tongue is totally killing the lead vocalist?

As for Winger, Pull is absolutely killer, IV is great, I like Karma, there's some instant gratification pop metal on there that's rockin', but WTF happened after that?!