Amp re-think needed

What's Hot
Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
So I've had my Fender Excelsior for about 5 years now, but I'm finding that I hardly ever use it because it's so bloody loud. So I'm looking to replace it with something with a master volume, that has plenty of clean headroom, works well as a pedal platform and is valve.

Additional, but less essential, requirements are:
  • It must look good,
  • Be light
  • Have a headphone jack
  • To be able to compete with my 100 watt rumble bass amp.

Suggestions so far are some kind of Vox AC4 and the Fender Bassbreaker 007 combo.

Lets hear your suggestions.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    edited January 2017
    Sounds like a solid state amp with that criteria. I can't think of many valve amps with a headphone jack for starters. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited January 2017
    What's your budget?

Boogie MkV:25 fits all the criteria including headphone jack...

And, did you mod your Excelsior?
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    You're playing the guitar and bass at the same time?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Blackstar HT5R

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    There are probably  more  headphone options  if you were looking at a valve studio type head. Peavey classic 20 or a laney lionheart 5w head
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    If you like the amp you already have just get an attenuator.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Marshall DSL5C also has a headphone jack. One thing to watch is the quality of the emulated out. If its poor then your lovely tube amp might sound like a fizzy mess and worse then a (digitally) emulated out from a modeller or modelling amp.

Aux in also a feature worth seeking out if you plan to jam along to backing tracks etc. HTR5 and DSL5c both have that.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    To be able to compete with my 100 watt rumble bass amp.
    Oh wait.....
    NelsonP said:
    To be able to compete with my 100 watt rumble bass amp.
    Oh wait.....
    Haha its all good. Just turn the bass guitar down ;)
  • Thanks for all the feedback, some good advice here on amps and attenuators.

@simonk Budget is around £400, happy to go used if needs be. Cheers will check out the boogie. Excelsior is totally stock.

@usedtobe I occasionally jam with friends in the house, and occasionally take my amps to other locations.

@kreggs I like the look of the Laney head will do some homework.

@NelsonP Not a huge fan of the Marshall sound, but have added it to the list to check out. Aux in is a good point, not something I currently use, but I have one on my bass amp, and run a drum machine through it.

@Zepp76 Will check out some attenuators. Cheers.
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    Victory v40?
  • Evildurka said:
    Victory v40?
    At 40 watts isn't that going to be louder than my 13watt Fender? Plus it's £800!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    There's a Laney LT-5 in the classifieds that would be perfect or a Blackstar HT-5r would be a good choice
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I've just bought a Roland Jazz Chorus 22 stereo amp. It's been designed to take pedals very well and it does. It has a stereo effects loop, headphone jack, stereo or mono inputs, stereo outs to a soundcard or mixer for PA, on board reverb and chorus - there's no drive. The idea is you use your favourite drive pedal or multi-effects board. Strymon used one to demonstrate their new Riverside distortion pedal.

I've been seriously impressed so far.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • @John_A I'll have a look for that now, it's a beautiful looking thing that's for certain.

@Fretwired Excellent, I'll check that out. Liked the look of it when it came out.
    Just bear in mind the lionheart combo does not have the headphone out. Just the studio head version.  Would the lack of headphones input be a deal breaker for you?
  • @Kreggs I don't think it's a deal breaker if it can do lovely cleans and be pretty quiet. I'm looking at the studio head version, but it depends on the emulated output, which I can't find much about.
    I have the lionheart  studio head but have not taken advantage  of the extra features as of   yet. It provides continuous 4x12 cab emulation  to headphones   as well as switchable emulation  between usb or D.I output. So the manual proclaims
  • @kreggs That's good info, thanks. At the moment it's coming down to the Fender Bassbreaker 007 head and the Laney. There's nearly £200 difference in it, and the Bassbreaker doesn't have headphone out.
    Great. Hopefully  youl get a chance  to try em both and go home with the one that fits you best.