Chapman Guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    i've never even seen one in the flesh, but for me, something has to look 'right' . i wouldn't even pick up most of the models i see on here simply because of the reverse headstocks and as someone else has already said, the lack of fret markers.churlish?, maybe, but we can't change how we feel about things, and if as many people state, they end up binning the pickups etc, why not spend less and just go for a harley benton?.

nothing against the man himself btw, actually quite like him and am envious if the truth be known!.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Vaiai said:
    I had an ML1 and apart from being heavy it was a great all rounder with coil tap options and really decent pickups. Lovely finish on it too - trans black one - looked and felt a lot more expensive than the £200-250 I paid s/h

I don't know if the rug or guitar is more concerning here. 
    Do you often get concerned about rugs?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    What really bugs me are in all the demos, you can hear the picking and strum over the sound through the amp.  But when they do a video with other brands, that doesn't happen.  
  • RigsbyRigsby Frets: 62
    I have an ML1-Pro. It also is fairly heavy but the fit and finish on the guitar are excellent and it plays great too. SD pickups, hipshot locking tuners and trem, thru neck and ebony fingerboard. I picked this up "used" but in as new condition for £350. For that money it is an absolutely fantastic guitar. 
  • I tried an ML3, an ML1 and a Ghost Fret while at Andertons a while back and I was really quite underwhelmed. I guess I went there with expectations a little too high, but really they just felt  a bit naff. The Ghost Fret was way too small, the ML3 was a real boat anchor and the ML1 sounded like any other generic superstrat.

In fact, they all sounded a bit weak and empty. 

For your cash you're much better off going for a used MIJ Jackson/Ibanez/etc. for the shredder thing, Gibson LP Studio for the classic rock thing, or Squier CV for the fender thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    I had a Captain or whatever they call it and it was excellent! Played really well and wasn't heavy at all and had good solid hardware and a neat finish as well.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• The CAP10 comes with Seymour Duncans, doesn't it? That might have helped my playtesting.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    The CAP10 comes with Seymour Duncans, doesn't it? That might have helped my playtesting.
    Yes and they suited it well.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    What annoyed me most about that video review is that he kept referring to 'Less Pauls' 
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    rico said:
    What annoyed me most about that video review is that he kept referring to 'Less Pauls' 

Maybe that's because Gibson have a model called the Less Paul? It's basically a Les Paul with a much thinner body.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mpexusmpexus Frets: 2
    edited January 2017
    I really want to try a ML1, I like the Trans Black one.

So far they seem to be one of the few cheaper available guitar that offer HSS config and a Non Locking Trem. This is main reason to want one, but its hard to judge without being able to try one first.
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    cacophony said:
    i've never even seen one in the flesh, but for me, something has to look 'right' . i wouldn't even pick up most of the models i see on here simply because of the reverse headstocks and as someone else has already said, the lack of fret markers.churlish?, maybe, but we can't change how we feel about things, and if as many people state, they end up binning the pickups etc, why not spend less and just go for a harley benton?.

nothing against the man himself btw, actually quite like him and am envious if the truth be known!.
    Having played both a Harley Benton and a Chapman, there is no comparison. The Chapman is way ahead. The Harley Benton is good for a what it is, but it cannot compare to the Chapman in terms of quality of materials and finish, and nor should it for the price that Thomann charge. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Sorry but they just don't look like guitars for grown ups.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Pffft! Who wants to be a grown up anyway?!?
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
    I must admit that the Ghost Fret does look tempting to me. The addition of the Hipshot tuners and bridge (but I’d prefer neck through body) with a TOM bridge but that’s just a minor bugbear. Its pretty much what I’d be looking for in an Explorer (including the reverse headstock). I’ve owned Gibson and ESP Explorer guitars and was very disappointed with the Gibson, to the point that it was sold rather promptly. Not played one yet, so will reserve judgement on how they play but I’d probably change out the pickups for a Bareknuckle War Pigs. Still waiting for the right one to come up second-hand for the right price. I think £500 + for a secondhand one is slightly too high for my budget.

Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

• dindude said:
    I think the appropriate response to that is to ask for context...what would you consider a guitar for grown-ups? :)
    <space for hire>
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

If I may  - having had a quick read through these comments a lot of people are talking about owning them in the past tense.

I'm sure they're good serviceable instruments but would this suggest they lack that certain magical ingredient which makes them great and one to keep ?

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    dindude said:
    I think the appropriate response to that is to ask for context...what would you consider a guitar for grown-ups? :)
    Can't quite put my finger on it. I'm not a staunch traditionalist so the expected answer of Tele or 335 will not be forthcoming (they're guitars for old men). I guess it's the way they take classic designs and just make them a bit, well, teenage bedroom metal.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    If you make guitars you have to choose a price point to sell them at, cheaper production and parts= cheap but not necessarily rubbish, they might not be the tone monster you wanted but good enough for most

He went fairly low end which is the sort of money alot of people spend imo, he's lucky he had that amount of supporters to start, it might have been different if he'd gone the 2k plus route

A high ticket maufactured guitar doesn't always live up to some peoples expectations either

It's all horses for courses, as long as you like it who cares 

I couldn't even put one together for what they go for

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Interesting to see peoples thoughts on the Chapman guitars.

Looks like to me that he has managed to create affordable and mid range guitars, that though not to everyones taste perform well for the price.
    Due to the collaborative design they have to be making a fair few people happy, so hats off to him for creating a viable brand.