Direct/Line out

What's Hot
BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
So my amps are pretty old (Carvin XV112 and Marshall 8100) and they both have a "direct out" or "line out" on them.

Historically, is this used to plug into a desk or something? Can I use this for recording if I use a cab sim/impulse? I'm a bit of a 'tard with this function.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

Found a schematic of the 8100 very quickly. Yes you could use the line out for recording*. The jack has an attenuation of about 26dB and don't forget you should have a load on the speaker out if you want silent recording. Yes, I KNOW it is a sstate amp but you CAN bugger them into an OC of you drive them very hard. The line out also has a very crude "fizz" filter so it should not sound too bad and you can always "EM" it a bit more in software!

*What are you recording on? If a desktop or anything mains powered you might run into hum loop troubles. Orchid Electronics do a super little isolator transformer or there is a two channel "Earth isolator on Amazon" very cheap and IMHO more than good enough for guitar. OR! You can diss' the screen one end of the cable.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Cheers @ecc83 !

I'll be recording it on a little USB desk on my desktop. So I need a load of some sort, that's good to know.

Thanks for the heads up on the earthing issues! All great info.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom