Nice price on this one !

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I have a CD somewhere with some tracks on by Candye Kane. I didn't know she had died, only in her fifties. Sad. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    edited January 2017
    I have personally been threatened by the owners of this guitar in an attempt to prevent me saying anything about the guitar. On one occasion, I had over a dozen harrassing phone calls throughout the night (between midnight and 6am) on one occasion and have been left voicemails of a threatening nature. I have also been messaged on forums with the same threats. 

Nice people.

Rob.
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I hope you reported them for it, just to add to their problems, make their lives as difficult as possible and keep the authorities on their tails.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • @Strat_a_tat_tat ; 4th post down on this thread

Thanks Andrew. I read some of it. Interesting stuff. The vintage guitar market appears to attract some colourful characters.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Nice to see Music Ground´s reputation spread across the globe. Utter wankers.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2017
    I think that particular Gibson, genuine or not looks crap...a nice '59 LP I can understand but not THAT!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Strat_a_tat_tat said:

The vintage guitar market appears to attract some colourful characters.
    These are not 'colourful charcters' - they're nasty, utterly dishonest convicted criminals. Why anyone continues to deal with them is completely beyond me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The "colourful characters" who currently own this guitar are not linked to Musicground, and it is them who have been coming down heavy on me and others who dare to speak about the guitar.

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:
    Ok, i'm going to say it....It was also sold as a verified replica by your friend too Rob, wasn't it?

This thread makes very interesting reading, features many of the 'big hitters' in the guitar world. You can make up your mind by the end of it who you trust and who you don't. Certainly made me question any future vintage guitar purchases, I can tell you.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?200741-1960-Gibson-Korina-Explorer-011172-quot-Kandye-Kane-quot-Guitars-West-Owned-on-ebay

Surely I can't be alone in not understanding a bloody word of that thread. Anyone care to translate into English and not LesPaulForumese? :D

• FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    I'm guessing the other thread about an explorer selling (or not selling) for $1m recently is related somehow.
    miserneil said:
    Ok, i'm going to say it....It was also sold as a verified replica by your friend too Rob, wasn't it?

This thread makes very interesting reading, features many of the 'big hitters' in the guitar world. You can make up your mind by the end of it who you trust and who you don't. Certainly made me question any future vintage guitar purchases, I can tell you.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?200741-1960-Gibson-Korina-Explorer-011172-quot-Kandye-Kane-quot-Guitars-West-Owned-on-ebay

Surely I can't be alone in not understanding a bloody word of that thread. Anyone care to translate into English and not LesPaulForumese? :D

You'll have to read what's out there I'm afraid, I've taken enough heat as a result of this guitar. Make a brew and read the thread on LPF, there's enough info there to form an opinion.

Rob
  • I have long thought that the vintage guitar market is just waaaay too difficult for the likes of me to get involved in... especially with my limited pocket money. In the past, I may have been in the market for a humble vintage model - like an SG Junior, or LP Junior or similar. However, even at that level of value, it's just too risky for me. Instead, to my mind, there are bargains to be had in the form of Collings 290s... especially when you look at how little they go for second hand. If I can't make a half decent noise with one of those in my hands - I have no business playing guitar. That said, I'm sure many will say you can't compare a new-ish Collings with a vintage LP Special/Junior - but I'm not prepared to take the risks that vintage instrument purchases can bring.

When guitars start being 'worth' £20k, £200k and beyond... there's a lot of money at stake... and that can attract all sorts of shenanigans. Scary stuff.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14230
    tFB Trader

I have long thought that the vintage guitar market is just waaaay too difficult for the likes of me to get involved in... especially with my limited pocket money. In the past, I may have been in the market for a humble vintage model - like an SG Junior, or LP Junior or similar. However, even at that level of value, it's just too risky for me. Instead, to my mind, there are bargains to be had in the form of Collings 290s... especially when you look at how little they go for second hand. If I can't make a half decent noise with one of those in my hands - I have no business playing guitar. That said, I'm sure many will say you can't compare a new-ish Collings with a vintage LP Special/Junior - but I'm not prepared to take the risks that vintage instrument purchases can bring.

When guitars start being 'worth' £20k, £200k and beyond... there's a lot of money at stake... and that can attract all sorts of shenanigans. Scary stuff.

very valid comments indeed
  • funhousefunhouse Frets: 124
    Has anybody reported the eBay listing to trading standards?
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    funhouse said:
    Has anybody reported the eBay listing to trading standards?
    The guitar is in the USA so not sure what they could realistically do... better to have lots of people report it to eBay for now I would think. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

"Collecter" [sic]

When the asking is pushing "one meeeelion dollars" and you can't spell, you look like more like a criminal than a businessman.

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    That's an ugly read.  Only skimmed through some of it, but get the impression only Clive Brown was interested in offering more or less decipherable information.  I guess you have to move in those circles to interpret most of the rest.  I'm sure glad I don't!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    bodhi said:
    .....but get the impression only Clive Brown was interested in offering more or less decipherable information.  
    That's probably because he has a financial interest in it. It was bought by his business partner for £Fake Guitar Money.

Read into that whatever you want.
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Oh right.  I missed that bit.  I was talking purely in terms of what seems to be information I could actually make some sense of.  The rest is all inner circle code speak of some sort.  Maybe more a maze than a circle :)

Interesting in a somewhat depressing way, that thread.
  • bodhi said:
    Oh right.  I missed that bit.  I was talking purely in terms of what seems to be information I could actually make some sense of.  The rest is all inner circle code speak of some sort.  Maybe more a maze than a circle :)

Interesting in a somewhat depressing way, that thread.

Yep. I read it and barely understood any of it. For the most part its a maze of nicknames and vague hints wrapped up in appalling grammar and stream-of-consciousness sentence structure.

The only thing I could take from it is that there's absolutely no way I would even think about giving £750k to someone who couldn't type in clear, coherent sentences about what they were trying to sell.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom