Getting my cab running at 8 ohms with one or both 16 Ohm speakers

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
edited January 2017 in Amps
Here's what I'm thinking, but neither of my Physics or Electronics PhDs have turned up in the post yet, so this might not be the great idea it sounds like:
  • 212 cab
  • Jack 1 wired to both 16 Ohm speakers in parallel
  • Jack 2 wired to No 2 16 Ohm speaker and a 16 ohm wire wound resistor wired in parallel and attached to one of the metal carry handles of the cab to act as a heat syc
  • A 3P2T switch which engages both speakers to Jack 1 in the first position and speaker 2 and the dummy load in position 2

I'm guessing this is no better or worse that building a straight dummy load to run in parallel with the cab and that there should be enough air in their to manage the energy converted to heat?

Baz
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Unless you're putting a ridiculous amount of power into it, yes. Use an aluminium-cased resistor of at least the same rating as the other speaker and bolt it to the handle and it should be fine.

You will find it difficult to get a 16-ohm resistor, but 15 ohm, 18 ohm or even 22 ohm will be close enough - bearing in mind a real speaker has a variable impedance which is mostly higher than the nominal rating.

You don't need such complicated switching either, a SPDT which engages either the resistor or the speaker is enough. You only need to switch one connection to each. No need to do anything with the jacks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Ah, yes - that makes sense

May well give that a whirl - thanks as ever

Baz
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9611
    Be careful when you pack up at the end of a gig, the handle might be hot!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom