Reverse auction in classifieds?

What's Hot
ParkerParker Frets: 960
Selling my Strat. Bought it's replacement already, so just need to cover the cost. Thought it might be fun to run a Dutch auction shaving X off each day until it sells. I'd have to stop if it didn't cover the costs but other than that it could be a bargain. Can anyone see any flaws with that plan?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've often thought of doing this - seems a good idea, can't see any probs with the rules so I say gopher it!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    I did it here last year, worked fine.  But I started at a good price and knocked off a hefty chunk with every 48hr bump.  

You sound like you are adding caveats and second guessing yourself.  If you are going to do it, be sure and stick to it!
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Yeah, go for it..

I'll have it when it gets to a tenner, write that down somewhere :)

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    That's basically how all my sales seem to go. Start with what I want then reduce until it goes. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm doing a true reverse auction on my Laney amp. 

I've started putting the price up :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    If I were a crafty mod, I'd make the thread private, and then when you're wondering why no one is interested in your Strat at 27p, I'd snap it up. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Jack_ said:
    If I were a crafty mod, I'd make the thread private, and then when you're wondering why no one is interested in your Strat at 27p, I'd snap it up. ;)
    Which is why you're not a mod?

;)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Jack_ said:
    Jooky chap would have already got it at a tenner!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Jack_ said:
    Which is why you're not a mod?

;)
    What an interesting idea.
    <space for hire>
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    Parker said:
     I'd have to stop if it didn't cover the costs but other than that 
    Spose it depends what you mean by that. If the lowest you can go is in the range of sensible selling price then just list it, if you're rpeapred to take less than 'usual' then yep a reverse* auction could be interesting.

* - this sounds like a reverse auction - I think Dutch auction is usually when the service provider is the one who stops the sale at the price they are willing to deal for against an increasing value.
    Red ones are better.