NAD: Redplate RP50R Head (Mini Review)

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
edited January 2017 in Amps
The first time I ever heard of Redplate Amps, was actually on the old Music Radar forum; someone was selling a combo, stating it was one of the greatest amps ever made !! Lots of research followed, and started my long journey with them.

No, with Redplates, I think it takes some time to 'get your head around them', in two ways;

1.) how they work
2.) the wide range of amp choices

Ive owned 5 or 6 Redplates (RPs), and I've I had problems with one of them. i live in the UK, where there was only one Redplate dealer at the time. I purchased a new Blackverb combo, but later swopped it because I thought it was too heavy... Ive since learnt that;

Heavier amps = bigger transformers = better sound & feel

A generalisation I know, but I still believe the 'best' RPs are the larger RP50, CDS3, Blackverb etc.

Anyway, back to the plot ! I then had a CDS2 in black, but ordered a CDS2 in wheat/blonde with a matching cab. Long story short - there was tremedous problems with this one; primarily based around the Lo Master master volume. (It has since acknowledged, I'm led to believe, that there were some issues with a small batch).

Anyway, both Keith and Henry at Redplate were helpful, and Doug at Coda was his usual patient magnificence, but I moved the amp on. Redplate days over...

As some of you will know, Ive tried and purchased several many amps - Carr (still own the glorious Rambler), Magnatone, TK, Jim Kelley, Matchless (luvvely), Lazy J, Dr Z, Mesa etc etc etc. 

But you know what...? The sound of the Blackverb and CDS2 live haunted me. It really did. Never got close to it, and it matched the 'sound in my head'... but I was scarred by that previous experience.

Then, over the past 12 months, I started clearing out, sorting, selling my gear (and life I guess) and began to think about ending the endless GAS. The conclusion was to get back that glorious Redplate sound. So, I started looking and was really after a (still rare in the UK) head. I fancied the RP40/50 option, due to the tweed AND Blackface pre amp option.

Then, I spotted a gorgeous blonde RP50R head, but in Germany at the excellent GuitarLoop dealer. Sure, it wasnt cheap but I just this move was right. The service was incredible from Torsten and the good people at Guitar Loop, I must say...

So, here it is ! I need to get a 1x12 cab, and Im delighted with this amp.

The real STRENGTH of RPs for me, is the ability to choose your cleans; then 'clip' them, add more bloom, add more mids, add a boost, add drive.... ALL FROM THE FOOTSWITCH.

The amp is so good, that I've just sold my Lazy J J20, and I never thought that would happen. It works well in my small 2 bedroom home, and Ive yet to gig it, but I know from experience it will spring to life !!

They are superbly made and engineered. The heads are very rare indeed.

I've contacted Keith at Redplate recently, and he has simply been a delight to deal with.

Very happy, very excited, and very grateful to have nailed 'my' sound with this glorious amp !!

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/RP50R.jpg

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/RP50R2.jpg

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Nice one matey :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Pics?
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Rowby1 said:
    Pics?
    Not Pics...... sound files please @Wazmeister ;
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mmmmmm tasty, like it in white. 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
    The tweed is fantastic; the Blackface is chimey... but it's the FOOTSWITCH is where it's at here... 

This has currently removed the need for ANY and ALL overdrive pedals, and that is incredible in my world !!
    Sexy. That's if an amp can be sexy lol. I'm so into these dumblesque amps at the moment  
    Sexy. That's if an amp can be sexy lol. I'm so into these dumblesque amps at the moment  
    Amps can be VERY sexy, imho...
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    I'm really hoping to drive down to GuitarLoop one of these days to pitch my J20 against a Louis electric Columbia and a red plate. The ultimate showdown!!
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Looks lovely!
    mmmmmm tasty, like it in white. 
    White ?!? It's blonde I'll have you know !!

I changed the brown knobs to cover the 'tweed' and 'drive' sections 
    edited January 2017
    I'd never sell my J20 but when I was buying a tweed style amp and the buster was around at the time of the J20 I probably would've chosen the Buster. Don't know why but there is something about it although movreverb tank

EDIT I should have quoted @ruoma comment in this as I was responding to him really 
    edited January 2017
    I'd never sell my J20 but when I was buying a tweed style amp and the buster was around at the time of the J20 I probably would've chosen the Buster. Don't know why but there is something about it although movreverb tank

EDIT I should have quoted @ruoma comment in this as I was responding to him really 
    The Lazy J is an incredible amp, and Ive genuinely loved mine...

and you feel that there is a BUT coming here, but, the Redplate was very very close indeed to the LJ imho.

Close enough for me to sell my lovely Lazy J...

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303

Took a while figuring that Warren. But you need to take it one step further.

Small combo = boxy sound. 1x12 = compromise. Oversize 2x12 = tone, feel and response of a 4x12 without the bulk. 

Offers still open if you want to try a few different cabs. (DrZ 1x12, Z Best 2x12, 4x10 Jensen P10R's and D style 2x12 with EV and Red Fang. Plus 2x12 combo with Greenback and Gold)
  • LewLew Frets: 1657

Well, not sure that's quite so simple. It's all relative to the power you're pulling and what you want to achieve.

I give it 6 months :-) sorry for the semi-baiting Warren but you really do evangelize brands like you're wallet depends on it that it's a bit hard to take seriously.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    Lew said:

Well, not sure that's quite so simple. It's all relative to the power you're pulling and what you want to achieve.

I give it 6 months :-) sorry for the semi-baiting Warren but you really do evangelize brands like you're wallet depends on it that it's a bit hard to take seriously.
    The thing is @Lew, my wallet doesnt depend upon it. Im very fortunate to be able to work hard and earn well, which gives me opportunity to try and experiment.

This review and its subsequent findings, are just simply opinion. You may disagree, but its honest and often involves direct comparisons between various amps. My recent evangelising across the last few years has involved mainly the Carr Rambler, Lazy J and now Redplate. You may find others agree about the quality...

Either way, you dont have to take my thoughts seriously.

You have implied such before, and that's cool and duly noted for future reference...
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    There's no need to be reasonable about it, Waz ;-)

I'm glad that you have lot's of money to experiment (something you've also mentioned once or twice ;-) ) but as a musician you're in the minority on that one which makes your reports even more important to us poor penniless peasants.

I didn't say I disagreed with your opinions either. I just find the public one up-man ship you have going on with yourself in public a bit awqward.

You can add Helix and Axe-Fx and ad nauseum to that list too. I thought you were done with amps, anyway?

Let's call it a day - I always fall into your threads with more venom than intended.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Lew said:
    There's no need to be reasonable about it, Waz ;-)

I'm glad that you have lot's of money to experiment (something you've also mentioned once or twice ;-) ) but as a musician you're in the minority on that one which makes your reports even more important to us poor penniless peasants.

I didn't say I disagreed with your opinions either. I just find the public one up-man ship you have going on with yourself in public a bit awqward.

You can add Helix and Axe-Fx and ad nauseum to that list too. I thought you were done with amps, anyway?

Let's call it a day - I always fall into your threads with more venom than intended.
    It IS a forum mate, I do believe, where we share, give opinions and review. This might help to give direction to some, and help this GAS cycle we can spiral into ;)

Never big myself up, BUT I do believe I try to add positively to every contribution; guess it grates with you a little bit for some reason.

Still, time is short and life is cruel, and it's up to us to change....

(By the way, Ive never bigged up Helix (far from it) and never said "I was done with amps"...)
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Would love to hear some sound clips!
    hywelg said:

Took a while figuring that Warren. But you need to take it one step further.

Small combo = boxy sound. 1x12 = compromise. Oversize 2x12 = tone, feel and response of a 4x12 without the bulk. 

Offers still open if you want to try a few different cabs. (DrZ 1x12, Z Best 2x12, 4x10 Jensen P10R's and D style 2x12 with EV and Red Fang. Plus 2x12 combo with Greenback and Gold)
    Hywel, value your great knowledge mate and that's a lovely offer. I'll have to take you up on it one day soon :)