JXG Juniors?

What's Hot
sawyersawyer Frets: 732
Finding references to JXG guitars and his excellent looking Junior recreations. Look great! So I'm lusting after a double cut but he doesn't seem to have a web site? Anyone have experience of his products and what sort of price cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I have a double cut relic in TV yellow. Utterly sublime in every way. Think there was a thread recently about JXG being out of the game for a while due yo health issues
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Oh dear:( Wonder if that's why I can't find  a website. Hope he gets well soon. I know he's Newcastle based ,which is near me, so would of been ideal 
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Paging @miserneil ;
    I'm tempted to get a body and neck off gspbasses and build one meself. His gear looks cool from the threads ive seen.Got mega gas for a double cut in cherry ha. 
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Everything I've heard about JXG builds has been more than positive - the closest I have got is a Les Paul he had pimped and that was the best I've ever played. Not sure if John is working at the moment - but worth a try. @Iamnobody might know more.

GSP are excellent, one of his plus @lamf68 to do the paint and you will have something special.

Somebody else who is uber anal when it comes to vintage detail is @miserneil - not sure if he is taking on commissions at the moment though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    sawyer said:
    I'm tempted to get a body and neck off gspbasses and build one meself. His gear looks cool from the threads ive seen.Got mega gas for a double cut in cherry ha. 
    Thats what I'm doing at teh moment  - gsb dc body. Check out manchester guitar tech for paints - spoke to Steve on Thursday and ordered my paint. Gonna try a TV finish....
    Thinking I might do the gspbasses option if the gentleman is still producing them. Thanks all for helping thought process and paint sources:) Got too many guitars but need one of these. You'd think Gibson would produce a decent non CS version.Cheers 
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    Like others.. only heard good things, think shugz still has one of his, and maybe able to contribute as i think hes been a regular customer :) 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    JookyChap said:
    Everything I've heard about JXG builds has been more than positive - the closest I have got is a Les Paul he had pimped and that was the best I've ever played. Not sure if John is working at the moment - but worth a try. @Iamnobody might know more.
    I've heard nothing but excellent reviews about JXG junior builds, so I decided to ask him to build me one.

Due to health issues earlier in the year John was only working part time in October last year when I placed my order.

Unfortunately there now seems to be a delay on my build  - others have suggested John is ill again which would explain it.

Cheers

Previously known as stevebrum
    sawyer said:
    Thinking I might do the gspbasses option if the gentleman is still producing them. Thanks all for helping thought process and paint sources:) Got too many guitars but need one of these. You'd think Gibson would produce a decent non CS version.Cheers 
    Then the fun bit of picking your p90 and all the hardware. Make sure you measure all diameters of holes before you order as there are different machine head bushings,etc available. To confuse matters more there seem to be imperial and metric versions too.
    scalino65 said:
    sawyer said:
    Then the fun bit of picking your p90 and all the hardware. Make sure you measure all diameters of holes before you order as there are different machine head bushings,etc available. To confuse matters more there seem to be imperial and metric versions too.
    Ah yeah man deffo the fun bit! Built a strat a couple years back 12inch radius flame maple neck,big block trem,locking tuners,h/s/s paf style covered humbucker on parchment plate and ivory reliced body:) had a whale of a time ha. If GSP still building I'd look at alu lightningstrike bridge,50's wiring harness,Grover rotomatics and would have to check out p90's market. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    JookyChap said:

Somebody else who is uber anal when it comes to vintage detail is @miserneil - not sure if he is taking on commissions at the moment though.
    I'm going to take this as a compliment...I think... ;-)

I do have a Junior project in the works, there has been a couple of hold ups but I will be making some and the first should be ready around July. All measurements taken from a '59 DC and a '56 Special. 100% nitro finish with aniline dyes, just as they were done in the 50's. First one is going to be a Cherry DC. Will do a thread in Made in the UK soon :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    miserneil said:
    JookyChap said:

No, you really shouldn't

;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    JookyChap said:
    miserneil said:
    JookyChap said:

No, you really shouldn't

;)
    Haha!! :-)
    (formerly miserneil)
    miserneil said:
    Neil, can you explain the dye/finish process a bit more please? Maybe youve done a thread on it? Or I can just wait for the build thread:)
    cheers
    WIll

tFB Trader
    scalino65 said:
    miserneil said:
    Neil, can you explain the dye/finish process a bit more please? Maybe youve done a thread on it? Or I can just wait for the build thread:)
    cheers
    WIll

I couldn't possibly give my trade secrets away Will....

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/46086/dc-junior-build/p1

By the way, I don't think GSP is selling single units anymore, I think he has enough work building for Feline etc, although that may have changed? Great guitars though, if not totally vintage accurate enough for the cork sniffer like myself! :-)

(formerly miserneil)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I've got a JXG DC Jr, had to get one after I saw @jd0272 's one and mercifully with my 40th birthday looming my long suffering wife swung in and bought it !
    its a truly lovely thing. I'm not foolish enough to prod the bear by saying it's as good as a real vintage one but I would say that I'd put it up against anything the Gibson CS have to offer and indeed many other more more well known (and more expensive) boutique makers without fear !
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    DrBob said:
    I've got a JXG DC Jr, had to get one after I saw @jd0272 's one and mercifully with my 40th birthday looming my long suffering wife swung in and bought it !
    its a truly lovely thing. I'm not foolish enough to prod the bear by saying it's as good as a real vintage one but I would say that I'd put it up against anything the Gibson CS have to offer and indeed many other more more well known (and more expensive) boutique makers without fear !
    Indeed Rob. DC Jnr TV Yellow '58 spec. Beast. Fact that I'm not gigging anymore and still have it speaks volumes. 
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    JookyChap said:

I do have a Junior project in the works, there has been a couple of hold ups but I will be making some and the first should be ready around July. All measurements taken from a '59 DC and a '56 Special. 100% nitro finish with aniline dyes, just as they were done in the 50's. First one is going to be a Cherry DC. Will do a thread in Made in the UK soon :-)
    Are they going to be a replica with that headstock, hope it ends will around here
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    JookyChap said:

Are they going to be a replica with that headstock, hope it ends will around here
    No. As discussed (with pictures posted) it will have my own headstock design. Similar to the headstock shape Gil Yaron uses.
    (formerly miserneil)