New VOX mini 50w amps

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2608
in Amps tFB Trader

Comments

• mmmm....thats the same guy who has championed and demo'ed various Quilter ss amps such as the ToneBlock etc..mmmm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gotta dig that sparkle strat though....................
  • Looks like a bit of Ashdown influence with the VU meter.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I do wonder how they measured the 50 watts? Is it the RMS wattage at 1% distortion which used to be the way they did things in the old days (@ICBM please correct me if I'm wrong about that).
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Plectrum said:
    I do wonder how they measured the 50 watts? Is it the RMS wattage at 1% distortion which used to be the way they did things in the old days (@ICBM please correct me if I'm wrong about that).
    In theory it should be. In practice it may not - even in the old days quite a few companies used to exaggerate, usually by quoting 'peak' power or by measuring at much more distortion (which drastically increases the apparent power).

Nowadays it seems quite common for amps to have rated power outputs above the stated power consumption, which is impossible - although I assumed it was always because they were exaggerating the output, one I've tested is the opposite - the claimed output power is genuine, it's the stated power consumption which isn't! So without testing one, you can't say with any certainty whether the claimed power bears any relation to the true output at all. This is not a good state of affairs in my opinion…

I do really like the look of these, although I wouldn't be seen dead with one that said 'Rock' on the front… or maybe even 'Clean' :). Luckily the 'AC' seems to sound the best. I am hearing some nasty-sounding top-end fizz in the demos, but I can't tell if it's the amps or the recording. If it's just the recording they do sound really very good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom