Gibson 2017 Les Paul Custom Special?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13951
edited January 2017 in Guitar
Some mutant engineering accident? A hint of PRS Mira cost saving measures, with pickguard mounted controls

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    I like it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    I like that a lot.

I quite liked it in some of the other colours but it really suits that.

Finally evidence that Gibson have worked out how to blend traditional and modern in a design that actually works?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Not for me, but good to see them having a go..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Other than the vile colour, the bridge, the singlecut with dot inlayphobia I have, the pickup rings and the cheap looking scratchplate I think it looks sort of nearly ok-ish.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27147
    It looks like a Fano. In a good way.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Glad to see they've ditched the 4 pot layout.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23014
    I like it, but not sure about the specs - poplar body*, skinny maple neck.  But looks-wise, I think it's great.

(* Edit - turns out that's not the LP Custom Special, but the M2 (M Squared?), which looks almost identical but costs $300 less.  This one is mahogany.  That's bloody confusing.)
    I very much like the sound of the skinny maple neck. I hate fat necks and headstocks that fall off if you look at them wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    Trotter said:
    I like it 
    Moi aussi. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Trotter said:
    I like it 
    Moi aussi. :)
    There are seven colours to collect too - eight if you include the two black ones with different pickguards!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    I'm afraid it's not for me.  To me personally, it looks cheap, ugly and makes my eyes go squiffy...and I usually like this style of simplicity.  I have no issue with others liking it, though :)  
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited January 2017
    I suddenly have the urge to eat chocolate limes. I think it's ok, the pickguard cutout looks a bit odd above the pots but other than that it's fine. 

It's a Gibson Les Paul Custom Studio according to the site 

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Custom-Special-S-Series.aspx
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited January 2017
    Not for me and that is a PRS not a Les Paul.  If I want a PRS I'll buy one.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    That is truly rancid
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    I like the idea but it just looks cheap and nasty. PRS S2 single cut satin is way better execution of a similar idea. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16742
    I like it.  Like a decent version of a sonex.   It's ripe for modding and relicing.

i wouldn't be put off by a cheap poplar version either... it's not an exciting wood, but that doesn't make it bad.  Pretty similar to basswood.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    The headstock is ok.      Not sure about everything else though.  
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Yup it's awful
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23014
    They actually managed to fuck up on their own site.  It's a Special, the Studio is the Swamp Ash one with no scratchplate.  I think.