Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Solid State Amp for gigs

What's Hot
SpikeedogSpikeedog Frets: 43
After a few 'issues' with valve amps recently and watching the wholesale switch to digital amp modelling, I got to thinking about going back to a good old rocking solid state amp with pedals which is where this journey for me began back in the early 70s when that was what was cheap and available. I'd be interested to hear views on this...... Particularly from any solid state fans and users.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    Peavey Bandit or Special.

Absolutely bombproof and louder than one too - the Special in particular, which I have. At just over 60lb it isn't that light for a solid-state amp but I'm fairly confident there isn't a gig I couldn't do with it - it's capable of really serious volume for a 1x12" combo. The Bandit is lighter at around 45lb depending on the exact model.

If you want a more modern-sounding one that has decent onboard drive tones as well, the first USA-made Transtube series is outstanding and can be picked up for around £100.

Pre-AVT Marshall Valvestates are good too, although are getting to the point where most need a bit of maintenance now -but once done are also pretty reliable.

The Orange CRs (60 and 120) are great if you want something new.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    The new Boss Katana 100 combo pisses over everything else in my opinion, and at £250 new you can't go wrong!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    ... and yes, I do own and gig one!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    @Grunfeld is a recent convert to the Orange CR120 I think. 

The Tech 21 Trademark 60 is great for the clean stuff,  if pricey new. 

Then there's the whole Roland family of JCs and the new Blues Cubes. Lots and lots on the Blues Cubes on here. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • @ICBM great stuff thanks. Used to have a big Valve state 150w. Good but heavy. I'll have a look at the Peavey and the Transcribe
  • @Trude don't know the Boss Katana. Got the Boss/Roland GT100 unit though...Not really impressed with the digital effects
  • @EricTheWeary is there a loud Blues Cube?
  • I like my Blues Cube Artist 1x12. Light, good sound and easily loud enough for gigs.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    @Grunfeld is a recent convert to the Orange CR120 I think. 

The Tech 21 Trademark 60 is great for the clean stuff,  if pricey new. 

Oh yeah, lots of love for the Orange CR120.  Been gigging it for about 18 months with a 2x12 but really fell in love with it within the last year. 
    Basically, it has enough power and volume to fill the place as back line in any pub gig; seldom taken it over 5 on the Master Volume.  And mic'd up I guess I'm typically running it at 2-3.  So, plenty loud.
    Great and really wide range of classic rock to high gain punk sounds.  Probably not the newer varieties of metal but I don't play those anyway.  Does the cleanish into crunch thing from using the guitar volume pots really well!
    Does a nice proper clean too, not really sparkly so if that's your bag get a Fender.  But you know: Beatles; Van Morrison; strummy stuff; it's all in there. 
    Takes pedals really well -- though it took me a while to suss out how to avoid over compressing everything.

I've also used a Tech 21 Trademark 60 as it happens and it does really good classic rock sounds too.  I had a couple of issues with it.  One was the lack of volume.  Even with an extension cab it got lost.  This was before we started micing amps.  The other thing was dialing in different sounds was a bit more of a faff as you'd get radically different volumes.

[Or you could just buy a cheap JVM410 head if you wanted a last hoorah with a valve amp...  ooooh, what's that in my signature?]
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Spikeedog said:
    @EricTheWeary is there a loud Blues Cube?
    I suppose all these things are relative but the Artist should be pretty loud, nearly £800 though.

Quilter get a lot of love on the US forums, Wembley Music Centre (?) seem to be selling heads and cabs. Small, lightweight, simple heads sold as pedal platforms. Cheapest head is £350 but I don't know at what point in the range they become loud enough. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited January 2017
    I've got the Orange CR60C which is a an analogue SS master volume amp. No effects (other than reverb), no tuner, no USB nonsense, no aux in,  no headphones out. Just a straightforward no-nonsense piece of kit. Appears to be very solidly built and very valve-like in the way it feels. Very pleased with it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • @Grunfeld nice one. I have a few fantastic sounding valve heads and used to use a Fender HRD but can't be doing with thinking about them all the time. I'd love to just pitch up and switch on and go for it.
  • @HAL9000 sounds about right. Loud enough for a noisy pub and enthusiastic rhythm guitarist though?
  • Laney World Series 2x12 - seriously, loud and clean. Just a bit heavy.  

Poor man's Jazz Chorus :)

I have one available for free ... no-one else has taste though. 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Although I like many of the Peavey valve amps, I'm not a fan of their SS amps - they just sound lifeless to me and I don't like their distortions.  However, I agree with ICBM re the early Marshall Valvestates.  I have one of the original Mk1 1x12 Valvestate 80V '8080' amps and it still sounds really good.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    Laney World Series 2x12 - seriously, loud and clean. Just a bit heavy.  

Poor man's Jazz Chorus :)

I have one available for free ... no-one else has taste though.
    That's an excellent amp and someone should take him up on it. At the absolute minimum it's an excellent backup/rough-gig amp. Very reliable, loud and not bad sounding, although the overdrive can be a bit tricky to dial in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @ICBM I would have it but collection only from Vauxhall.
  • Spikeedog said:
    @ICBM I would have it but collection only from Vauxhall.
    I'll let people sort out their own shipping :) pains me just to freecycle it. 
  • I'll PM you. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited January 2017
    Spikeedog said:
    @HAL9000 sounds about right. Loud enough for a noisy pub and enthusiastic rhythm guitarist though?
    I've never properly gigged mine, but use it most weeks at a local jam night. If I have it turned up about halfway it is loud enough for single-note runs to be heard over a room of other guitarists chugging away plus a drummer. I believe @cbilly22 has the same amp and does gig his. My gut feeling is that it's plenty loud enough for pub gigs.

Edit - I've written a longer review in the amp reviews section.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it