New ESP - this is so cool.

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited January 2017 in Guitar
I just saw this - a guitar based on the 1986 custom ESP used by Vernon Reid on loads of Living Colour stuff. It looks good, and it's an LTD as well so it shouldn't even be that expensive. As someone who was captivated by Living Colour, Vernon Reid and indeed the original version of this guitar (in the Cult of Personality video) at a very early stage in my playing, I find myself kind of wanting one :lol:

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/esp/site_assets/000/020/968/original.jpg?1482167742

Let's hear (and see) the original in action:

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    And it is green, which is something I approve of.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22798
    edited January 2017
    I saw him playing that guitar several times, back in the olden days.  Then he switched to Hamer, if I remember right.  I won't be buying one, but I always thought that sanded/layered finish was very cool.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Gah I want this guitar sooo badly. Vern was the first 'modern' guitarist to really interest me so this is a really iconic guitar for me. If I had the cash I'd get one and finally try and learn that warp speed intro to 'Desparate People' on it !
    That said, this or the 'Times Up' Hamer ? tough choice !
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24273
    I like that a lot!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I like it, and I'm known for having boring conservative tastes.
  • Reminds me of this:

I missed out on two of these due to indecision. Probably for the best ...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    That video 3.00 in. Oh yeah!
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Bucket said:

Ah Living Colour, some time since I last listened to them. I remember how good it was hearing 'Time's Up' back in 1990 as a 14 year old trying to find decent new guitar/rock music with all the appalling hair metal widdle crap around at the time. Powerful lyrics as well!
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    1) I really like the look of the guitar.  And it would scratch an EMG itch which won't go away.
    2) Despite knowing the song really well that's the first time I've seen the band... I'd assumed they'd look like ABC for some reason... so I was kind of wrong on that one.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    This.

edited January 2017
    This might sound controversial but as much as I love Living Colour but I've always thought of VR as a lucky guy who managed to end up in a band with much, much better musicians than him.

He isn't a bad guitarist at all- he's pretty great at times, but the Calhoun & Wimbish are just on a totally different level.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Octafish said:
    Bucket said:

Ah Living Colour, some time since I last listened to them. I remember how good it was hearing 'Time's Up' back in 1990 as a 14 year old trying to find decent new guitar/rock music with all the appalling hair metal widdle crap around at the time. Powerful lyrics as well!
    I would have been around the same age and acutely aware of how dated most rock bands were sounding, this was a breath of fresh air. Saw them live a few times at the time too, awesome band.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24273
    octatonic said:
    This might sound controversial but as much as I love Living Colour but I've always thought of VR as a lucky guy who managed to end up in a band with much, much better musicians than him.

He isn't a bad guitarist at all- he's pretty great at times, but the Calhoun & Wimbish are just on a totally different level.
     It was Muzz Skillings on Cult of Personality. Wimbish didn't come along until about 92 IIRC
    octatonic said:

It was Muzz Skillings on Cult of Personality. Wimbish didn't come along until about 92 IIRC
    Ah yes, of course.
    Still, my point stands. :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22798
    edited January 2017
    octatonic said:

You're in a much better position to judge his playing skills than I am, so I'm not even going to try to argue about that.

But he didn't just "end up" in that band, he put it together and led it.  So the other guys must have thought he had something about him. :)