Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Car bumped by taxi - how should I proceed?

What's Hot
My car was parked. Taxi slid into it on ice. Sustained broken rear lamp and paint scraped to bumper. Nothing else. Details were swapped. Photos taken etc. Taxi company said to take to local garage and get quote. Did that. Garage said 'who do I give quote to? You (me) or taxi man? I say 'I dunno, taxi man said get quote'. Garage man says, 'ok I'll phone taxi man with quote'.
Now I know exactly how much a rear lamp costs and have a very good idea of how much a bumper respray will cost. Probably not much change out of £300, unless the paint is blended to the affected area (not metallic) and therefore probably cheaper.
So I spoke to taxi man (boss) and said garage man would be in touch. I also asked how he wished to proceed, like, through insurance? Taxi boss man says no, he'll foot the bill. I think fine, coz insurance will screw me in the long run even though I'd sweet F.A. to do with it.
Now my Mother tells all her pals this story and they all say I need to tell my insurer, coz taxi man might back out at any minute....possibly leaving me with a bill to settle with garage.
I can see their point.
Can anyone advise? If I tell insurance company will they eventually screw me and mark the car as having an insurance job?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    When i had an accident and offered to pay for repairs my insurance told me to get it in writing it had been agreed to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Cool. I reckon that would work....and if not, I contact insurers. Thanks man.
  • Check your policy, some insurers insist you inform them of incidents within 24/48 hours else they won't pay out in the event of a future claim.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30930
    edited January 2017
    Mate,

Here's what you do.

You tell them fine, but they will deal with your insurers. You are wide open here.

Why would you do them a favour? Why are they asking this? Have you seen their policies?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
    Always, go through the insurance company. That's what you pay them for. Its a non-fault claim so you won't be penalised and it'll safeguard you against matey backing out and leaving you high and dry.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I got hit from behind - but there was not enough damage on my vehicle to worry about so I didn't tell my insurers - all the damage was on the car that hit me.

Six months later, a claim against me arrives - saying that I'd swerved in front of them, so I had to go to my insurer to explain why I hadn't notified them - and I still don't know what the final outcome will be. 

I think it is safer to tell your insurer
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
    ^^ Yep seen this a few times, especially with bikers - and I hate to say it mate, but I think you're going to get arse-raped by your insurance company for not reporting it.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Motorhate said:
    ^^ Yep seen this a few times, especially with bikers - and I hate to say it mate, but I think you're going to get arse-raped by your insurance company for not reporting it.
    Bit harsh.They just used to penalise people financially. Well it is 2017 I suppose.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the advice guys. I've notified insurers. I'll update as things progress.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    You have to report it to your insurers - this will protect you. I guess the taxi firm has an excess greater than £300.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    My daughter rang this morning saying she had reversed into one of the neighbours cars, I've just been round to see him & told him to get it repaired & I'll pay him instead of going through the insurance, her premium would go stratospheric if it went through the insurance, she's already paying £4800 for a Megane....the bank of mam & dad again.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4723

Personally for that amount of damage I would have taken the chance with the Taxi company.  Even non fault accidents can put your premiums up as they may deem you more likely to be in an accident in the future.

I think they key thing in this scenario is how much damage is there and are you sure the other party won't tell their own insurer because if they make that one call and it gets back to your insurance company, you may have your policy cancelled.

Insurance companies do not like to think they are not getting a slice of the pie where there is chance to make money.

• hotpot said:
    My daughter rang this morning saying she had reversed into one of the neighbours cars, I've just been round to see him & told him to get it repaired & I'll pay him instead of going through the insurance, her premium would go stratospheric if it went through the insurance, she's already paying £4800 for a Megane....the bank of mam & dad again.
    HOW MUCH!?! My kids better like public transport! 
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    edited January 2017
    @ menamestom Even non fault accidents can put your premiums up as they may deem you more likely to be in an accident in the future.

This has happened twice to my daughter, she was run into twice whilst stationary & both times her premium was upped by hundreds of pounds, It absolutely stinks what they get away with.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7343
    "...in an orderly fashion when you are ready and is safe to do so."
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    @ menamestom Even non fault accidents can put your premiums up as they may deem you more likely to be in an accident in the future.

This has happened twice to my daughter, she was run into twice whilst stationary & both times her premium was upped by hundreds of pounds, It absolutely stinks what they get away with.

The trouble is, (not having a dig) people never question things like this or haggle with insurance companies and just accept what they say as gospel.

I had this with an insurance company for my bikes. I ride a 2000cc Kawasaki, an 883 Harley and a 650 Kawasaki which are all on the one policy. I have them garaged and have 6 years no claims. Come renewal time, they tried to up it by £150. When I questioned it they said it's just the way it is - (absolute crap) so I took them to task on it. I told them I had 6 years no claims with them, how do they justify that hike. They said in so many words, because you haven't had an accident in six years, you're due one.  More bullshit I thought so I told them to shove it. Immediately, they knocked £100 off. Convinced now, that this was a game, I haggled and really brow beat them into offering me a better discount. They wouldn't so I said shove it.
    An hour later, the phone rings and they've knocked another £85 off. I told them I'd got a better offer which was £210 cheaper than what they'd originally quoted me. They matched it and I got a significant discount without the aggro of changing companies. I have nothing but contempt for them now, but speaking to other people, this is an accepted practice with brokers (I don't think this applies if you apply directly to insurance companies) so its always worth trying. Remember, there are always other companies out there willing to take your custom. 

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746

I had a no fault accident in July-16. My renewal was last week.

Current insurance company double my premium as a result - they sent me a lovely email stating the increase was because of the accident even though it wasn't my fault, didn't affect my NCB etc.

I went with another insurer who were less than 50% of their quote.

• AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2448
    edited January 2017
    Minor damage I'd get a quote from a garage, show it to the taxi company and get cash in hand to pay for it (assuming the car isn't on PCP in which you're obliged to use an approved repair service).

Half bumper spray and filing any gouges is about £200-250 unless they can blend in a spot repair as they have to drop the bumper to spray it, so it might work out at more than £300 by the time you get a new light unit.

Going through the insurance company may also mean the damage is recorded on the cars history when it comes time to sell it
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!