Is there a small (tiny) bass amp?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
I am looking for a small (tiny) bass amp for use beside my computer. This is where my Pignose lives and I use the Pignose for bass when watching instruction videos on the web. The Pignose is in daily use for guitar too. A bass amp that is around the size of the Pignose would be perfect, if such a thing exists. There is not enough room beside the computer desk for my Minimark or else it would be used. Suggestions please or if you have 'the answer' and are selling it, please let me know.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    Not tried one myself but the Blackstar Bass Fly 3 is apparently surprisingly good, considering how small it is.

https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/ranges/fly-bass

Or you could use an amp sim in your computer and get an interface and don't worry about an amp at all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Thanks @fretmeister, the computer interface idea might be what I need.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Phil Jones 'Double Four' springs to mind, not tried one my self but it looks neat. 

There are lots of options with amp sims. Some free, some very expensive.

Most have a time limited free demo available though.

Focusrite make some lovely modestly priced interfaces (I have an older one) but there are many makers now.

BUT - carefully check your PC specs. You don't want any lag. Be sure your PC can cope. Just using an amp sim uses less power than recording or using multiple sims at the same time, but better safe than sorry. You don't want to buy an interface and a few amp sims and then find you need a new PC.

Just thought of another option.

If you have a smart phone - there are free versions of Amplitude available with 1 bass amp on it (small fee for adding them). You could then run the headphone out into your PC.

You'd need an interface for the phone, like the iRig or the Sonicport etc and they tend to be a little cheaper than a PC interface, and you can take it with you if you ever take your bass on trips.

I have the SonicPort for use with my phone, and I use it with the smart phone version of Amplitube. Amplitube can import from iTunes as well, so it's easy to play along to tunes for practice.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    As an interface, how about a Zoom B3?
    ROOG said:
    Phil Jones 'Double Four' springs to mind, not tried one my self but it looks neat. 
    I'd love to try one of those.

They have a good reputation. Bit pricey for a practice option though.

Oooo!!

The MB Minimark has an XLR direct out!

@Rocker - you could use that with an interface. Just run an XLR cable from the Minimark into an interface. That way you are using the amp you already like, and you won't have to worry as much about PC spec.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    The THR10 has a bass amp setting on it but not sure how good it is.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    The Roland Micro Cube Bass RX is very good, but slightly bigger than you want I think, and also remarkably heavy and expensive for such a low-powered amp. How they squeeze such a lot of bottom-end out of something that can run on AA batteries is probably why...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks guys, I would use the Minimal if there was the space to fit it but there isn't so the best option seems to be a small amp like the Backseat Fly. I am in Dublin now checking them out. The Fly bass is very impressive for such a small box and is available for €75. So far it looks the biz and sets the standard. 

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I use one of those ghastly litte SS Amps that come as part of a Bass starter pack, which usually sit for ages on local advertising websites, for about a tenner.....it makes a sound that is good enough to play along to something on the Mac.....not the best quality sound, but at low volume it doesnt distort and is just acceptable, I stick a guitar through it too......about 12x8x8 inches...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

I bought a Blackstar Fly bass. €59 from XMusic in Dublin. Looked at the Cube but it was too big even if it is small! Will post a pic of my computer setup one of these days. Thanks to all for your input. Invaluable as always.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Cool.

I'd like to see it on a normal desk for size comparison.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    ICBM said:
    The Roland Micro Cube Bass RX is very good, but slightly bigger than you want I think, and also remarkably heavy and expensive for such a low-powered amp. How they squeeze such a lot of bottom-end out of something that can run on AA batteries is probably why...
    Agreed, I tried one and liked the features, still fancy a Phil Jones amp though :0)  

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Collings said:
    The THR10 has a bass amp setting on it but not sure how good it is.
    It's actually pretty good for practice
    occassionally an Eden Nemesis combo pops up on here for <100 and they are hands down amazing sounding wee amps 
    good for guitar too
    edited February 2017
    This is my computer desk/guitar & bass learning area:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee495/RockerDIY/IMG_0420_zpsjgavfn2w.jpg

Bottom left is the Pignose, above it is the Blackstar Fly Bass amp.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• I won a Fly3 bass amp a wee while back. Surprisingly good and packs a decent punch for such a little amp. If it had a DI out as well as a headphone out for recording it would be unbeatable for a small practice/recording amp. I suppose they are trying to keep the amp affordable though
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    What about a Gallien Kruger 250, small, well built and great through an extension cab if you fancy a Gig