2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    That limba was there for 20 years wez
    I kinda think you totally missed my point.  Let me elaborate

Wood has natural variation both within and between species
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23022

^  I'm being thick - or too tired to think properly - but I can't guess what "GT" or "B's" means in that picture.

Gold top?  But there's no reason why that should be heavier, if indeed those numbers suggest it would be heavier.  Customs are always heavy, I wonder what weight code they are?

• RabsRabs Frets: 2610
    tFB Trader

Also out of interest (or not) they now have the average weight as part of the information on the Gibson site.... 

LP Trad
    Weight Relief: None
    Average Weight (body only): 6 lbs

LP Classic
    Weight Relief: 9 Hole
    Average Weight (body only): 5 lbs. 14.4 oz

LP Standard HP
    Weight Relief: Ultra-Modern
    Average Weight (body only): 4lbs. 6.7oz

LP Studio

LP Faded
    Weight Relief: Ultra Modern

LP Tribute
    Weight Relief: 9 hole
    Average Weight (body only): 5 lbs. 14 oz            

Rabs said:

Also out of interest (or not) they now have the average weight as part of the information on the Gibson site.... 

LP Trad

LP Classic

LP Standard HP

LP Studio

LP Faded

LP Tribute

That is quite useful, also shows what i was saying about Swiss cheering being quite an inefficient method
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    That limba was there for 20 years wez
    I kinda think you totally missed my point.  Let me elaborate

Wood has natural variation both within and between species
    I agree btw, thought you meant the limba I had

I've found more difference between the honduran variants than 2 or 3 types of African I have
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

LP Trad

LP Classic

LP Standard HP

LP Studio

LP Faded

LP Tribute

is that with the maple caps?
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    I would agree with that.  I showed it in my les Paul build thread too as I compared two planks of Honduran.  One was 50% heavier than the other.

i have had some super light black limba, used it for the core of my double neck for that reason.  But most has been average light mahogany weight.  Never had any heavy stuff.  Doesnt mean it doesn't exist
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    I would agree with that.  I showed it in my les Paul build thread too as I compared two planks of Honduran.  One was 50% heavier than the other.

i have had some super light black limba, used it for the core of my double neck for that reason.  But most has been average light mahogany weight.  Never had any heavy stuff.  Doesnt mean it doesn't exist

Well I am in the process of making a Black Korina DC too  (seems to be a popular choice at the moment :)

At the moment the body is just under 2" thick and weighs 6.5lbs

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/DSC_0118_zpsqozcy9yo.jpg

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/212948de-16b7-4b0f-aed7-15774bbfca80_zpstk1dexn9.jpg

tFB Trader

is that with the maple caps?

I would have thought so??
    Yeah, and I am fairly sure both you guys confirmed your source of black limba was the same.   

Hopefully that explains why your experiences of it are similar.

edited January 2017
    here are some lovely pics of my old black limba supplies

the really light stuff - paler end of the spectrum than most black limba but still has the occasional orange bug stain and the dark streaks - no really black stripes though.

the first bit from larry davis in 2004 - light to medium weight. - clean black streaks and plenty or orange bug holes

and a medium weight bit - unusually dark down the middle with a really clear orange bug streak.  the ginger patches in the dark section attracted me to it, but they turned quite dark fairly quickly

and some normal korina 

tFB Trader
    That looks lovely Wez and nothing like my stuff btw, wish I could get more with those orange streaks
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    That looks lovely Wez and nothing like my stuff btw, wish I could get more with those orange streaks
    I suspect, since it's the same tree as white limba (terminilia superba), that the dark colour comes from mineral content. So it could well be generally heavier than the light stuff.  

The bright orange streaks are always accompanied by a small bug hole- the colour is a reaction to the bug attack
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    A bit of topic but as We're talking about Korina I thought mentioned this.

Went out to David Dykes today looking for some black Korina . He has lots of it, but very little of the very dark stained type. I did manage to find two that looked very interesting and colourful. But as usual, if it's colourful and got some orange in it, you can be sure there's gonna be wormholes to go with them, which there is. Both pieces are exceedingly heavy, but they are well oversize. I would imagine the one that's going to be a superstrat, at least 50 percent of the wood will go in the bin. The second piece, I'm thinking of making a LPJ DC from it, I've put the LPJ jig on it  and there's loads of extra wood, possibly enough to make the neck from. I'm still thinking about that.

Interestingly, when I looked at the plan Korina its almost identical to Idigbo apart from the weight as Idigbo  is considerably lighter.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    I almost forgot to post a photo of how I chamber Les Paul bodies, since this photo was taken, I've changed it slightly as the wire run now gose  straight across the body, rear chambers slightly smaller to make sure that the hard tail posts have no chance of going into them.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

Yeah, idigbo is terminilia ivorensis.  It's very closely related but you never get the dark bits in idigbo.  I reckon the grain on idigbo is a bit coarser and more interlinked too, I don't think it's as pretty... but I have used plenty of it and don't think there is anything in it tonally

the bug holes accompanying the orange streaks are rarely big enough to be an issue.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited January 2017
    Just imagine if you Chambered a 12lb Norlin Les Paul (from the back).....and everybody that heard it wanted one for the sound......not just for the weight.

Remember.....the heavier the Norlin.....the heavier the removed mahogany sections are going to be. (FACT).

Anybody see any hiccups with this plan??

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    Skipped said:
    Just imagine if you Chambered a 12lb Norlin Les Paul (from the back).....and everybody that heard it wanted one for the sound......not just for the weight.

Remember.....the heavier the Norlin.....the heavier the removed mahogany sections are going to be. (FACT).

Anybody see any hiccups with this plan??
    Funnily enough, I was looking in Johnny Roadhouse's window in Manchester today. They had an impossibly clean Gold Top Les Paul Standard from 1980 - with a maple neck and Shaw pick-ups. Even at £2500, it looked superb. After the initial 'that's a good looking guitar' reaction, I began to wonder how heavy it was....