Burns Tri-Sonic pickups: keep or get rid?

StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
So... back in the mists of time, I bought a horrible home-made guitar out of the local paper, which had three Burns Tri-Sonic pickups on it. Eventually I threw away the guitar and kept the pickups, and a few years later I had them rewound by Adrian Turner at Adeson. They are currently doing nothing.

I had thought about fitting them to a (Mex) Strat like the one I've just bought, but the more I think about it, the more obstacles crop up. They're too big for a standard Strat pickguard and probably too big for the routes too. And they are early ones with non-adjustable pole pieces that are configured for a wound G string.

Is it going to be worth the hassle? Or should I just pass them on to a Brian May fan? I have no idea how much they would be worth.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Brand new ones go for around 120, these should fetch a bit more for that Vintage Mojo.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6998
    A set of standard Trisonics would be anywhere from £120 up secondhand.  If they've been rewound by Adrian Turner (with provenance) it might be a different matter; the man's an absolute marvel.  I replaced the stock units in my Red Special with a set handmade by him, and the difference was absolutely stunning.

Adeson Trisonics do have their own particular sound; richer and fuller than standard single coils, but with excellent clarity.  You're correct that you'd need to do a bit of rerouting on a Strat, and a custom scratch plate would also be required.