DIY spot levelling

What's Hot
I have a guitar with a high first fret which means that the low E always buzzes when you play it open. It is other wise well set up and plays well.

Can I use an emery board and those abrasive fret rubbers to take the first fret down a touch?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Are you sure it's the fret that is high rather than the nut slot that is low?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Likely to be low nut rather than high first fret
    If you lower first you could risk note played at first buzzing - better to raise nut

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Likely to be low nut rather than high first fret
    If you lower first you could risk note played at first buzzing - better to raise nut
    I can't really tell but I'm assuming there isn't an easy way of doing this at home? It's just the low E that needs fixing. 
  • I'd put a bit of thin paper or something under the E string at the nut to see if that fixes it.  If it does, leave it like that until you can get the nut sorted out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You could try the baking powder and super glue method to fill the offending nut slot, then recut with an appropriately sized file. Lots of info if you Google.