Are Boss re-releasing old pedals?

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

Or maybe they're just gonna paint the DS-1 black and release it instead.

https://www.boss.info/us/promos/40th_anniversary_compact_pedals/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1385
    Bring back the fz2
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7810
    was that really the best they could come up with? I reckon a few choice reissues would have gone down a storm. Maybe parts is an issue?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    I've long lost interest in Boss, their range is too boring, they seem have little new to offer and they're a bit pricey. Problem is there are better OD's, Fuzzes, Delays, Phasers, Octaves out there for similar or less money and they don't do pedals such as vibe or anything a bit wacky.

I also had enough of issues such as the DD3 being finicky with certain power supplies or the TR2 still making a hissy/swiching sound even when switched off due to not being true bypass, assume their other modulation pedals have similar issues?
  • I'd love to see the PH-1r and DC-2 back.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Credit to the guitarist in that video, stunning playing.

Depending on price, I might get the DS1, just to sit on a shelf.  But I can see it costing a lot (for what it is).

I love Boss pedals, that don't always sound the best, but they are tanks, I just can't hate them
  • I'd love to see the PH-1r and DC-2 back.
    You might see the PH-1 at Winter NAMM.  My guess is Boss will re-release a few more 40th anniversary pedals, maybe even the OD-1.  

Overall, their NAMM line-up is disappointing.  
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    in this day and age you'd think BOSS would re-introduce ALL their defunct models - there were some great vintage sounds that we have been denied for far too long,
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    You might see the PH-1 at Winter NAMM.  My guess is Boss will re-release a few more 40th anniversary pedals, maybe even the OD-1.  

Yeah what is it with Boss these days, so boring and nothing new other than overpriced versions of their old pedals. No hate for them just a lot of 'meh'!
  • Octafish said:
    I've long lost interest in Boss, their range is too boring, they seem have little new to offer and they're a bit pricey. Problem is there are better OD's, Fuzzes, Delays, Phasers, Octaves out there for similar or less money and they don't do pedals such as vibe or anything a bit wacky.

I also had enough of issues such as the DD3 being finicky with certain power supplies or the TR2 still making a hissy/swiching sound even when switched off due to not being true bypass, assume their other modulation pedals have similar issues?

Any digital delay and a lot of analog ones are fussy with power supply. You need to isolate them. Same with modulation pedals - boss ones actually usually play nice when daisy chained, although not always. 

I find the current range is a bit odd - I love the digital drive pedals, such as the da2, d1x and od1x. They're original, very low noise and dynamic. I love a couple of others but they're marmite - ds1 and Ds2 for instance. I also really like the bd2 and, to a lesser extent, the od3. 

But I do wonder why they won't rerun old classics. The od1, sd-2 (seriously they need to get on this one), ph1r, dd2 and the old vibe could all be brought back. 

The fz2 was an absolute beast apparently... 
  • 57Deluxe said:
    in this day and age you'd think BOSS would re-introduce ALL their defunct models - there were some great vintage sounds that we have been denied for far too long,
    I think they would sell great too.  

Octafish said:
    I'd love to see the PH-1r and DC-2 back.

Yeah what is it with Boss these days, so boring and nothing new other than overpriced versions of their old pedals. No hate for them just a lot of 'meh'!
    They seem to have lost a bit of steam.  Even their modellers have become obsolete, they aren't doing anything new with the technology.  I really like my GT-001, but it could be way better.  
  • They need to re-issue the OC2, or possibly do a Waza version of it.
    Octafish said:

Any digital delay and a lot of analog ones are fussy with power supply. You need to isolate them. Same with modulation pedals - boss ones actually usually play nice when daisy chained, although not always. 

Yeah fuuny thing is, the DD3 was fine with my Diago micropower daisy chain which isn't isolated?
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    Octafish said:
    I'd love to see the PH-1r and DC-2 back.

They've done some interesting stuff too. The DA-2, MO-2 and Terra Echo were all stabs at a new way of doing things - MDP. It's a bit disappointing that they then chose to re-release old pedals using this new tech (DS-1x etc) but then musicians are notoriously conservative and it's never done Fender or Gibson any harm re-releasing endless versions of the Tele, LP etc.

I'd love to see a new version of the Spectrum and the Slow Gear. All the 1 series are pretty iconic pedals and sound excellent (the ones I've played anyway - OD-1, PH-1).
  • Octafish said:

I find the current range is a bit odd - I love the digital drive pedals, such as the da2, d1x and od1x. They're original, very low noise and dynamic. I love a couple of others but they're marmite - ds1 and Ds2 for instance. I also really like the bd2 and, to a lesser extent, the od3. 

But I do wonder why they won't rerun old classics. The od1, sd-2 (seriously they need to get on this one), ph1r, dd2 and the old vibe could all be brought back. 

The old vibe has already been brought back as the VB-2W.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Octafish said:
    I don't get how anyone can look at the DD-500 and say "meh".

Half the boutique pedal industry is built on overpriced versions of Boss's old pedals (more than that if you consider the tubescreamer a direct descendant of the OD-1)

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Octafish said:
    I don't get how anyone can look at the DD-500 and say "meh".

Half the boutique pedal industry is built on overpriced versions of Boss's old pedals (more than that if you consider the tubescreamer a direct descendant of the OD-1)
    /|\ This... in spades.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Octafish said:

That's a vibrato pedal, I was talking about vibe as in univibe style pedal. Also the Boss VB-2W is an insane £190 for a pedal with not that much variety in sounds. The Digitech Ventura Vibe offers similar sounds, plus Univibe and Rotary sounds for £130 in pedal that feels higher quality with Stereo In and Out. It's as though Boss has no eye on the competition.

I still like my old DD3, but delay wise Boss offer nothing that competes with the TC Electonics Flashback x 4 (3 foot switchable preset delays, tap tempo, 4 editable toneprints, looper) for similar money.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Octafish said:
    Octafish said:

That's a vibrato pedal, I was talking about vibe as in univibe style pedal. Also the Boss VB-2W is an insane £190 for a pedal with not that much variety in sounds. The Digitech Ventura Vibe offers similar sounds, plus Univibe and Rotary sounds for £130 in pedal that feels higher quality with Stereo In and Out. It's as though Boss has no eye on the competition.

I disagree there... I tried the Ventura and it doesn't do the Boss Vibrato very well at all. Thats the point for me, nothing sounds like a VB2 that is cheaper. Yes its expensive but if you want *that* sound - like I do - its pretty much the only option. At least you know the pedal is well made for that cash - unlike some "booteeek" stuff with soppy switches.

Univibes? Really? Sorry but I'm not a fan - the 'throbbing' thing doesn't work for me. Its great for Hendrix and Trower inspired stuff but I'm not inclined to play like that. If I want a Vibrato sound, the Univibe isn't it...

As for Boss delays - each to their own but I prefer a Boss DSD2/3 to much of the fashionable stuff thats about at the moment. There was a reason we jettisoned our analogue delays back in the 1980s and plugging into some of these reminds me of this. A lot of these delay units are over complicated too - I don't use tap tempo, as I like repeats to clash with the beat and some of the controls on these things just are there for twiddling sake for me.

As for reissuing thing - yes, Dimension please, with the switches rather than the knobs. Slow Gear (or whatever the fuck it was called) would be good too.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• @Octafish - you said 'the old vibe could be brought back', Boss has only ever made the VB2 and the Vibrato side of the CE1 so what Boss Univibe pedal were you referring to?

Plus the custom mode on the VB2W has a more Univibe style voicing.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Yep, I'd be up for a reasonably priced FZ-2 (don't know why I sold mine...) and the DC-2. But really, the Slow Gear was complete pants!