NGD: Back with the Telecasters

What's Hot
I have an odd relationship with telecasters. In theory I love them. I've bought and sold so many of all shapes and denominations over the years that I've lost count. 

Decided that I wanted another as a gigging backup to my jazzmaster / a nice alternative for certain tracks, so when this came up at a good price I snaffled it right up. 

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/guitarsforminnaars/8582724C-B26D-4014-96DD-65DB4FE88EAA.jpg

Lovely burst on it, and it's as light as a feather; 7 and a half pounds to be exact. A telecaster. Who knew?! 

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/guitarsforminnaars/A1BAD49C-5A3B-4458-A866-D85B360451F0.jpg

MiM '72 Classic series Custom. Plan is to de-goop the neck and tru-oil it, replace the plastic nut, fit compensated saddles, then eventually go for Mojos WRHB and Esquire bridge pickups, though the stock sound better than expected. 

After I dismantled it and cleaned it all up, I'm really pleased with it - entirely unmessed with, and fit and finish are immaculate. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Excellent score, the custom is on my "guitars to own before I die" list. Nice sunburst too, how does the current humbucker balance with the bridge pickup?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's ok actually. I'd heard many a tale of intense muddiness, so was pleasantly surprised - perfectly usable. I do however want to go for the Mojo, so that I have the proper WRHB sound, and not just a sheep in wolfs clothing. Bridge is nice and spanky. 
  • I miss the usual Still Ill backdrop ;)

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's ok actually. I'd heard many a tale of intense muddiness, so was pleasantly surprised - perfectly usable. I do however want to go for the Mojo, so that I have the proper WRHB sound, and not just a sheep in wolfs clothing. Bridge is nice and spanky. 
    Yeah, I'd heard tales of unusable muddiness, but then some people think that about the standard tele neck pickup. It'd be good to hear a comparison between the two neck pickups when you swap them over.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I keep meaning to order the WRBs from Mojo for my Tele Deluxe (with trem). TBH, the standard pickups are ok - a bit generic and a bit dark. But they aren't so bad as to need instant changing.

Nice score... even if it is sunburst. ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmann said:
    I keep meaning to order the WRBs from Mojo for my Tele Deluxe (with trem). TBH, the standard pickups are ok - a bit generic and a bit dark. But they aren't so bad as to need instant changing.

I do it just to annoy you and jack these days 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    impmann said:

:-)

My Tele Deluxe is sunburst too... as is the PRS.

I've come to the conclusion that you can't hear colour.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    impmann said:

:-)

My Tele Deluxe is sunburst too... as is the PRS.

I've come to the conclusion that you can't hear colour.
    And I just like em! 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I just saw this pic on Instagram....just made the connection... lol
    Nice score - thinking about a Classic Vibe tele as a backup as my Guthrie Charvel is a bit of an expensive backup option. I play my Suhr Tele almost exclusively now.
  • Vaiai said:
    I just saw this pic on Instagram....just made the connection... lol
    Nice score - thinking about a Classic Vibe tele as a backup as my Guthrie Charvel is a bit of an expensive backup option. I play my Suhr Tele almost exclusively now.
    Second hand fender surely a better option? Mine was £425, which seems to be the going rate if you shop around 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    It's ok actually. I'd heard many a tale of intense muddiness, so was pleasantly surprised - perfectly usable. I do however want to go for the Mojo, so that I have the proper WRHB sound, and not just a sheep in wolfs clothing. Bridge is nice and spanky. 
    I had a road worn version a while back and was impressed by the range of tones you could get by blending the two pickups together. Yes, the neck is a bit flat by itself, but as you blend in some bridge there's some lovely sounds there. Great score!
  • Looks great, nice score!

Always find it weird how the pickguard around the bridge on Tele Customs looks hacked out though!
  • I've always loved the look of them, but I know they're not to everyone's tastes
  • I've always loved the look of them, but I know they're not to everyone's tastes
    Don't get me wrong I think they look great, it's just the wobbly pickguard lines around the bridge looks like a chunk has been taken out with a hacksaw, just seems an odd aesthetic decision on Fender's part
  • Also, strung it up with 10s. My god, they feel like cotton thread. Will need 11s immediately. Cannot wait for the compensated saddles to arrive either - how did anyone ever intonate these?
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Good catch that :)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Very cool indeed!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    very nice. A good tele is a fine thing!