Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Variax

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Any idea of the money yet?
    Approx £1200 tbc. Depends on a few things. 
    Does it depend on worldwide stocks of black?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    That's actually really cool. I love the look of it. I have no need nor desire for the Variax functionality though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The shape is cool, but I find it hard to believe there's a market for a "metal" variax.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    The shape is cool, but I find it hard to believe there's a market for a "metal" variax.
    Probably worth thinking about the alternative tuning models it can offer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited January 2017
    In the words of Danii Minogue, "Its a 'no' from me".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28173
    It's a metal Musiclander!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Sporky said:
    It's a metal Musiclander!
    Didn't know whether to lol or wiz that - spot on - I thought it reminded me of something (awful).
  • Any idea of the money yet?
    Approx £1200 tbc. Depends on a few things. 
    That's a shame as it's somewhat out of my price range. I'll need to settle for just saving up for a Variax Standard.
    Listening to a few Twelve Foot Ninja tracks, he really uses the Variax in all it's glory on their tracks, going through the different models, and having it paired with a POD HD to make switching patches a breeze! 
    Their music really is innovative!
  • Just found this video with Stavic demoing the guitar, it really shows how the Variax opens up the possibilities. I really "need" a Variax now!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Just found this video with Stavic demoing the guitar, it really shows how the Variax opens up the possibilities. I really "need" a Variax now!

That is a great video.

@rossyamaha one for the guys at Line6 to link to, eh?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    I wouldn't have initially put Variax and metal together as the models on it are 'classic' for want of a better word. There isn't an EMG loaded ESP model for instance, so is that why it's got the pickup?

Interesting detail about switching strings off... can I do that on my Variax 500? 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I don't like it personally but it's a lot better than all those terrible guitars that they started off with.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    It looks better when that chap from 12 Foot Ninja uses it, It's not one for the dad rock blues noodlers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I'm by no means a metal player in any way but i really like the shape. I often wonder about guitarists typically sticking to three or four basic shapes when the bass world has so many different ones. 
    And I'm absolutely guilty as charged in the shapes of guitars I play.
  • @rossyamaha Can you turn strings off on the Variax Standard also, is that a standard Variax feature.
    Frankly, I think its great that Line6 are finally embracing the metal market as they are far more likely to accept new sounds, new ways of doing things and not be permanently looking backwards, like most of the other genres.

Sadly, a decision was made some time ago to try to distance the brand from metal as at one point it was felt that there was too much alignment and there was a danger of being pigeonholed (their thoughts not mine). As a result certain projects were killed off that would have been highly lucrative and interesting... for example the Dave Mustaine signature amp, of which a handful exist (all in DM's hands) that was *incredible* sounding. It was canned. Meshuggah's sound was all about Line6 a while back and they used the brand almost exclusively - until support seemed to wane.

The video sounds great and its exactly what the Variax concept is all about - making a guitar do stuff that is otherwise impossible.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @rossyamaha Can you turn strings off on the Variax Standard also, is that a standard Variax feature.
    Its a while since I played with Workbench, but I'm pretty sure you can turn volumes of individual strings down to zero.

• This will bomb and we'll be knocked out at £500-600 a throw come Black Friday 

Will go the same way as the JTV-89 and 89F 

Also expect to find B-stock repair models going cheap as line 6 guitars are glitchy as hell 

ive owned 4 variax models and the Jtv-69 and 2 Jtv-89 models all had software issues within the first 6 months 
    This will bomb and we'll be knocked out at £500-600 a throw come Black Friday 

Will go the same way as the JTV-89 and 89F 

Also expect to find B-stock repair models going cheap as line 6 guitars are glitchy as hell 

ive owned 4 variax models and the Jtv-69 and 2 Jtv-89 models all had software issues within the first 6 months 
    Software issues? What issues with the software?

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24271
    That's a great demo.

To Snapshot tunings etc is amazing.