One Amp to Rule them All - Can of Worms

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845

I love my Fender Prosonic. Its warm and bluesy, but surprisingly gets a little muddy under drive. Like most fenders, its own drive channel isn't all that great, even though its the best I've heard from a fender.

If you were in a semi pro function band that had to cover everything from the beatles/stones, eagles, doobie brothers, dire straits through to Foo Fighters, Green Day, G'n'R, Biffy Clyro etc, what would you reach for (that isn't thousands of quids). I'm feeling a 2x12 and it needs a line out

Go

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    2 Peavey Bandits?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    I can fake all of that stuff in a working band with pretty much any valve amp and a couple of choice pedals, but if you want to nail the nuances of each individual tone then you're really looking at multiFX rather than a couple of good amp channels.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Helix and be done with it.
  • Helix and be done with it.

I keep looking at Fractal FX8, but you still have to put that out through something pretty transparent don't you
  • p90fool said:
    I can fake all of that stuff in a working band with pretty much any valve amp and a couple of choice pedals, but if you want to nail the nuances of each individual tone then you're really looking at multiFX rather than a couple of good amp channels.

@p90foolI think its finding the right valve amp. I use a Rocket Animal for those JCM/JTM tones but it still goes muddy and flabby fairly early on
  • 70's Fender Pro reverb, still a great sounding amp. Clean channel is perfect. A simple cap mod on normal Chanel and it will take all sorts of drive pedals. 
    Helix and be done with it.

I keep looking at Fractal FX8, but you still have to put that out through something pretty transparent don't you
    Depends on your band setup I guess. Decent FRFR Speaker(s) for monitoring and direct out to PA if that's the setup, or a pair of FRFR for backline with some spread if you don't need to go through the PA. Does depend on venue size tho. The big advantage is you can build up some patches and use them in a 'setlist' style. The disadvantage is you could spend the rest of your life building patches ;)

• That's what terrifies me!
    That's what terrifies me!
    TBH I was terrified that it would happen when I got the Helix. But it actually didn't. Created a series of patches I really liked, and tweak them a bit, but mostly stick to using them. The flexibility is brilliant. OK, it's not quite the same as a valve amp with a good 2x12 attached, but I suspect in a function band setting it's so damned close as to be irrelevant. 

Oh, and flippin' convenient too. Er, and lighter. 
  • I've played a few prosonics and by the best by far was the one that had a replacement speaker. He had blown the original and had an old celestion gold. It sounded incredible! Very tight bottom end and punchy. But above all it killed that muddy mush when pushed hard.

Moral of the story. Save your money and replace the speaker :)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    Mesa Trem-o-verb. By a curious coincidence I may be selling mine… even though I love it.

I'm very surprised the Prosonic gets muddy when driven hard though - or at least if you're using the full power solid-state rectifier mode. I seem to remember them being *too* clear and cutting like that, if anything.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've played a few prosonics and by the best by far was the one that had a replacement speaker. He had blown the original and had an old celestion gold. It sounded incredible! Very tight bottom end and punchy. But above all it killed that muddy mush when pushed hard.

Moral of the story. Save your money and replace the speaker :)

I had though this - 2 10" golds will hurt the bank though!!
  • £156 each!!!!!
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    An honourable mention perhaps for the Fender Bassbreaker 18/30 and 45. My 18/30 is plenty loud and dynamic, loves pedals into the front for Marshall style drives and the two Celestion V-Type speakers really move some air.
  • deluxe reverb with a speaker swap and some nice pedals, all the function stuff is mic'd and they (generally) prefer the look of small combos on stage (punters at weddings see a 4x12 and instantly think its loud!) 

Anything bigger would take more volume to sound good and clients listen with their eyes a lot of the time. 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    With a few pedals or an Fx8 then I'd vote for a fender twin.   Perfect gigging amp they can cope with big and small stages, mic'd or on its own and has enough headroom to sound great with lots of pedals.  
    Ignore comments about the weight - make sure it's on wheels and it's fine. 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1442
    AC30, Hotcake and a Rat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    Dodge said:
    AC30, Hotcake and a Rat.
    Sounds rad
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Line 6 Spider, one of the early models.
  • Dodge said:
    AC30, Hotcake and a Rat.
    This ^
    Good trades/sales with: Pluckbuddy, JDE, xXBADGERXx, Brize, alanchanxd, NigelP, Loobs, BusterCrabb, jimkehoe