Bends and vibrato ~ ~ ~ how do you do them ?

What's Hot
Just found a nice little workshop snippet from Guthrie Govan,
so I thought I'd share.

Do you have any tricks, techniques or good video clips to share too?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133

or B B King's approach

SRV Crossfire Bending Vibrato Technique

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    I've been working a lot decently with trying to bend up then further and then back down in steps as shown in the first video. 

I find I really have to reign in my vibrato on bends with some drive or it gets very zak wylde and tasteless as demonstrated in the video. 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    My New Year's resolution was to give up string bending.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited February 2014
    For some reason I did a bit of classical vibrato on the very last note of this improv. Despite what people say about classical vibrato on an electric, I think it's a subtle but nevertheless noticeable technique. Ignore all the clangers.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I like wiggling the neck back and forward to get vibrato. Results very depending on flexibility of neck and join!
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Yes I tried that on my chinese doubleneck and got about an octave either way.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    That's nearly a Floyd's worth viz. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168

jpfamps said:
    My New Year's resolution was to give up string bending.
    I decided to go up the gauges until I couldn't bend no more, I didnt want to become reliant on it. I went from 9s to 12's. After 12's bust my hands up, i settled on 11s. I can bend a tone, and that's enough for me :)

I really love Holdsworth's classical style vibrato. But then I like Peter Green, Cream era Clapton, Ford and Carlton. When I was getting my basic shapes down I did use to practice in a similar style to Govan. Granted not as many semi tones! I've only bent one semi tone or a tone max. I found jam tracks helped, and just focusing on that one thing.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • viz said:
    For some reason I did a bit of classical vibrato on the very last note of this improv. Despite what people say about classical vibrato on an electric, I think it's a subtle but nevertheless noticeable technique.
    Totally and utterly agree with this.  Why would you not want another technique to express yourself. 
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    It's not about NOT having a means of expression it's about having lots of different means of expression...

First day at one of the IGF Jazz courses and we were told we were playing styles of Jazz for the first 2 days where he'd like us to NOT bend the notes as it's a crutch. You'd have thought he'd said "out your guitars away it's a paper based course".

As it turns out sliding up and down to a note, playing short punchy notes on the beat was fun after all - whodathunkit.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • icarusiicarusi Frets: 2
    edited April 2014

Less usual bends

Melodic minor bends

rewq

I am quite a fan of Andy Timmons.  I find his writing and playing to be very melodic, and exciting to listen to.
    While trawling YT for interesting stuff I came across this masterclass.  He spends some time discussing bends from 19:10 onwards, so I thought that I would share it here.

Duration 42 mins

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Basically I just keep pretending I'm Marty Friedman or George Lynch, but my hair just isn't as good which is what I'm convinced holds me back.  Paul Gilbert is my other favourite, he has lovely vibrato IMO.

This was a pre re-amp/mix solo from a demo track last year, has plenty of bends and vibrato in it.

What I found was the more I got interested in string bends/vibrato the lighter the string gauge I used.  In standard tuning I'd use 9s on Fenders and 10s on PRS/Gibsons, any heavier and I find I can't play that kind of style for too long before discomfort sets in.  I'm using heavier strings to tune lower at the minute, but have gone for a set that gives me plain strings that feel about that light.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited July 2014
    Man Andy Timmons is killer.

The Ibanez 90th show version of Cry For You is one of the best live guitar solo performances I've heard, some beautiful string bending and vibrato in it.  Starts at about 8 minutes.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom