Wide Range or Filtertron - opinions needed please

Well my 12 string project has taken on a new direction, and the idea now is to do a Cabronita style build, but with a T-O-M bridge and a hardtail Jazzmaster plate. The 6 million dollar question is what pickup should I go for? I want to fix it straight to the body, so my options are (both from Mojo) a Wide Range pickup in a Jazzmaster cover, or a p90 sized bladed Filtertron. As it's a 12 string, it'll mainly be used for clean sounds. I'm worried that the WR will be too trebly for my liking as I do like a nice PAF in the bridge position normally.

What do you knowledgeable people think?

Cheers :-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    A Filtertron style could well be even brighter.  I've had one of Marc's Wide Range 'buckers and it was lovely.  Not too bright at all.  The least helpful way I can think of describing it is like an amalgam of all f the best bits of humbucker, P90 and single coil. Full sounding without any mud or shrillness.  Wide Range really :)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Trons are bright but a hotter wind bridge circa 8k is less so. And still couples well with a normal wind neck 4kish. Blade trons are smoother, less bright and weren't massively popular in the Gretsch world against other flavours.