Cheap cleans?

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
edited January 2017 in Amps
I have a need of a clean combo amp to feed the FX8 into.
Want something as a home practice amp and I'm completely out of touch as to what is good.

I've had a couple of Princeton's over the years, so something like that but 1/3rd the price would be ideal.
Under £250 certainly- new or used (although this is a discussion thread, not a WTB thread).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Fender Princeton 112.

Yes seriously.

If you want monitoring in stereo the Princeton Chorus will take a stereo FX return, although from memory you need a Y-lead.

Or the usual suspect ;). "El Bandido" or his band of brothers...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31615
    Mesa Tremoverb.
    ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    p90fool said:
    Mesa Tremoverb.
    ;)
    Stop rolling @ICBM 's answer-dice!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31615
    Lol, thought someone had better! 
    Don't be silly :).

It's the other one for this question ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    Don't be silly :).

It's the other one for this question ;).
    I thought the other one was an answer-coin ;)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    For cheap and used hard not to say Peavey ( Bandit or various other similar models), the clean channels are good pedal platforms. A lot of low end digital ( and some solid state like Fender - don't know about the Princeton Chorus) don't take pedals well as they like to go glitchy with raised levels so you might end up with problems with the FX8. 
    New you could get a Roland Katana 50 combo well within your budget, does more stuff than you want it to but they seem to get a lot of praise.
    You can get a DV Mark Little Jazz for £260. Fifty solid state watts into an 8" speaker that does nothing but clean  =) and ideal for that smooth jazz trio you were probably planning. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

A lot of low end digital ( and some solid state like Fender - don't know about the Princeton Chorus) don't take pedals well as they like to go glitchy with raised levels so you might end up with problems with the FX8.
    The Princeton Chorus I borrowed at a gig once and ran my Mesa V-1 pedal through sounded so good I almost went looking for one to buy! Easily one of the best pedal-into-cheap-amp tones I've ever got.

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I know it's wilfully obscure but this Yamaha G-100-112 was just £70.

Majorly loud. Great quality too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/transalp1998/yamp.jpg
    KKJale said:

Those are fantastic. I had the 212 one a couple of years ago which I picked up in a deal. I shouldn't have sold it really… I think they sound better than the more famous Roland JCs, if you don't need the chorus. I sold it to someone who wanted a Twin Reverb but couldn't afford it - because that's what they sound like, really.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Session Sessionette or Rockette
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Ooh, the Tech 21 Trademark combos in their various sizes, they come up pretty cheap used. Generally speaking people seem to like the clean channel but not the OD side so much. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBM said:
    KKJale said:

Those are fantastic. I had the 212 one a couple of years ago which I picked up in a deal. I shouldn't have sold it really… I think they sound better than the more famous Roland JCs, if you don't need the chorus. I sold it to someone who wanted a Twin Reverb but couldn't afford it - because that's what they sound like, really.
    You have just given me GAS. I was doing alright up until I read your post.
    pintspiller said:

You have just given me GAS. I was doing alright up until I read your post.
    I should mention that my one sounded more Twin-like because I had put Jensen Mod 70s in it - the original speakers had fallen apart (which is quite common) and the mounting centres have a slightly odd spacing so Celestions won't fit - but Jensens will, just.

They do have that big deep, clear clean tone and good reverb, anyway. The onboard distortion is more usable than the "pull" circuit on a Twin too... just :).

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    A suggestion, as something from the Kemper forums that has been popular.

Fender Mustang III or higher model. You have the ability to completely turn off cab sims, and you can go into the fx return loop, and it basically becomes a speaker. It compares well to most of the cheaper FRFR cabinets, it's fairly neutral, and it's not as big as getting a PA speaker or something along those lines. Can pick one up for £100 or so.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Otherwise, hire a Taiwanese cleaner.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Jack_ said:
    A suggestion, as something from the Kemper forums that has been popular.

Fender Mustang III or higher model. You have the ability to completely turn off cab sims, and you can go into the fx return loop, and it basically becomes a speaker. It compares well to most of the cheaper FRFR cabinets, it's fairly neutral, and it's not as big as getting a PA speaker or something along those lines. Can pick one up for £100 or so.
    This looks pretty good.
    Does anyone here have one?
  • Marshall MG 20.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    The clean channel on the Roland Cubes is actually pretty good. Admittedly the distorted sounds aren't great but if you only want the cleans then this is easy on the back and the wallet.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it