NAD - Rift - 18w Marshall

What's Hot
LewLew Frets: 1657
edited January 2017 in Amps
Yo! 

I don't really do NADs and NGDs and all that 'cause I feel daft making a look at my gear thread but I'll make an exception as Chris is local to these parts so some feedback (hurr) might be useful to buyers. I've had it for a couple of weeks now.

It's an 18w Marshall - 1974 (often called a mini-bluesbreaker) but instead of the Tremolo circuit on the second channel (I think he makes that too) it has a TMB tone stack which is more useful for me.

It starts getting some gnarly break up pretty early at about 2 ish and stops getting louder and just piles on the gain at 6-7 onwards with a medium output humbucker. The amps a wild animal at 10 and the speaker comes heavily into play as well as a fair bit of compression - amp on 8-9 is spot on for my tastes. It sounds like... well, a Marshall. A really bloody good one with lots of high end sparkle and loads of detailed mid-range.

Heyboer trannies
Jupiter caps
Some NOS valves. A Mullard EZ81 and 3 x RFT ECC83
WGS green beret speaker

The WGS speaker is impressive. It's very punchy, brilliant and present. And yea It feels like an upgrade over the Celestions I've been using as standard. It doesn't have a mass of bass - which works for me as I'm in baritone land and fuzzies freak out with all the bass.

Very happy with it. Sounds like this.

Ta!
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments