Guitar Cable

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 666

My main guitar cable that I've used for about 7 years finally bit the dust. Was a decent Planet Waves cable, 20 or 30ft, can't remember.

Any recommendations on a good replacement cable that doesn't cost too much? This will be mainly used at home and for some rehearsals as my main board is now wireless, so I'm not looking to spend loads of money.

Or, should I just stick with a Planet Waves, since they come with lifetime warranty? (I didn't keep the receipt for my old one!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited January 2017
    I've used these guys for a bunch of stuff and it's all been good and reliable.

http://www.designacable.com/musician-leads/instrument-leads.html

If you have Amazon Prime they sell on there with prime delivery, might be worth checking which way is cheaper to buy as I've not bought any new leads in ages so don't know off the top of my head.
  • You don't need a receipt - put in a claim on their website or via email. They will ask for pictures of the cable to make sure you haven't chopped through it on purpose or treated it with undue care or attention.

Once they are happy, they will then ask you to cut the end off and send them a picture, or post the cable to them; then they will send you a new one of the closest equivalent from the range they now do.

I've never had a problem with them; replaced 4 cables this way on warranties. They're not the best cables in the world but they're not the worst, and they're the only product I've ever come across that allows such a relaxed and informal warranty claim service.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I'm amazed a Planet Waves cable lasted that long.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    ICBM said:
    I had one of the basic cables go intermittent on me after a couple of weeks. I must have used it about four times total.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Planet Waves are the only cables that have never failed on me (famous last words)The ones I'm still using are ancient - must be getting on for 20 years old - they're certainly well over 15 years old..

Oh, I tell a lie, the elastic cable tidy on one of them finally gave up the ghost last month but probably only 'cos I always wrapped several cables together with it at the same time.
  • ICBM said:
    Ha ha! 

What kind ins would you suggest I should check out?
  • I like the core one bullet coiled cables but they're a bit marmite for people.  I also use George L's for recording with and they're bloody good
    ICBM said:
    Ha ha! 

What kind ins would you suggest I should check out?
    i use Horizons but they're hard to find over here. KaBl (@RobDavies) used to make great ones but he's stopping now, although it may be worth asking him. All sorts really... anything except Planet Waves and Fender Custom Shop which have the worst failure rates I've ever come across, and Monster which sound horrible and I wouldn't want to give any business to anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    I've had the same 'Pirhana' cables for 15 years, and a Vox 'curly' cable for 7 years, and all are still going strong!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

Make you own with "balanced" mic cable and Nukes!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I've had 2 Whirlwind cables for about the last 30 years now.
    Not sure if they're the same quality these days.
    I think the good ones are called 'leader'. They're the ones with the sort of rubber jacketed plug barrels.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    The Planet Waves American Stage are very good. Nothing like their other ones.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9619
    Voxman said:
    I've had the same 'Pirhana' cables for 15 years, and a Vox 'curly' cable for 7 years, and all are still going strong!  
    I've also been using an old Pirhana cable recently. My main cable, which I made up myself with Klotz Pro Audio cable and Neutrik jacks has gone microphonic - really loud rustling whenever I handle it, and it picks up strongly if I tap it with my finger.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Tried a load, my favourite are the award session ones
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    I've bought two of the award session ones and both have crapped out on me, making a 100% failure rate.
    I opened them both up and no wonder they'd stopped working - the quality of build was dreadful. Out of four connections,  only one was done properly. The other 3 had the hot wire totally exposed and excessively long, making it short out against the shield wire. I've fixed them both but shouldn't have had to if they'd been made right in the first place. 

The component parts are good quality but based on my experience of the way they're put together,  I won't be buying any more. 
  • Beexter said:
    I've bought two of the award session ones and both have crapped out on me, making a 100% failure rate.
    I opened them both up and no wonder they'd stopped working - the quality of build was dreadful. Out of four connections,  only one was done properly. The other 3 had the hot wire totally exposed and excessively long, making it short out against the shield wire. I've fixed them both but shouldn't have had to if they'd been made right in the first place. 

The component parts are good quality but based on my experience of the way they're put together,  I won't be buying any more. 
    Bugger, I bought one on Friday!!
  • I'd never buy a bullet coiled lead again. Too heavy which messed with the jacks guitar connection. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    I'd never buy a bullet coiled lead again. Too heavy which messed with the jacks guitar connection. 
    Did you loop it through the strap? Always a good idea even if the cable isn't heavy.

They're also really high-capacitance. The guitarist in my band has one, which sounds great for the sort of sounds he uses, but when I was repairing one of the ends for him I tried it with my guitars and it sounded awful.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    I've never had issues with my award session "cleartone" cables but the same can be said for the cheap no name ones with neutrik jacks that I got off ebay years ago. They sound the same as well.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited February 2017
    Send an email to planet waves UK, give them your old one and they'll ship u a replacement. They are true to their word of lifetime warranty. 

I didn't need a receipt. But I sent them a photo, and after that, they gave me an address to ship to.